Saxophone/Conn alto sax

Hi Eugene, I have a Conn shooting star alto, serial number is 5254.
I got it about 50 years ago and am looking for two things. When it might have been made, and do you think it is suitable to play for jazz. I Recently have been playing with a 20 piece band on tenor sax, and would like to fit in the alto.
Thank you for your time, Jim

All saxophones are suitable for playing jazz - so that is an easy 'yes'!  

These horns are not highly regarded but have managed to hang on over the years - most likely due to the spiffy name. If the horn can be gotten into good condition, it could surely fit the bill as a second horn in a big band.

PS - your 5254 number is quite low and could mean it was made prior to the move to Mexico. Here is some great info on these horns which might help you more accurately identify its origins:

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.