Saxophone/Conn alto sax

Question
Hi Eugene, I have a Conn shooting star alto, serial number is 5254.
I got it about 50 years ago and am looking for two things. When it might have been made, and do you think it is suitable to play for jazz. I Recently have been playing with a 20 piece band on tenor sax, and would like to fit in the alto.
Thank you for your time, Jim

Answer
All saxophones are suitable for playing jazz - so that is an easy 'yes'!  

These horns are not highly regarded but have managed to hang on over the years - most likely due to the spiffy name. If the horn can be gotten into good condition, it could surely fit the bill as a second horn in a big band.

PS - your 5254 number is quite low and could mean it was made prior to the move to Mexico. Here is some great info on these horns which might help you more accurately identify its origins:

http://doctorsax.biz/vito_conn.htm

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera