Saxophone/Conn Shooting Star Alto

Question
Conn Bell
Conn Bell  

Conn SN
Conn SN  
I'm really confused about my Conn alto.  I bought it 25-30 years ago from an elderly pro sax player who was maybe 80 at the time and needed some cash. I've hardly played it since; I'm more of a tenor/bari performer.

The lacquer is maybe 80% there, but it's really discolored; it's not "brassy", rather it's a bronze tone.  It definitely has "Conn USA" engraved on the bell as well as a total of 6 stars, 4 small ones and one big one above, plus one small one underneath the CONN USA.   It's got stamped metal guards over the keys on the bell.  And it has a serial number stamped on the back.  

But here's the source of the confusion.  The SN is very clear, is definitely only 4 digits long, and definitely reads "1765".

I didn't think at the time I bought it to ask the provenance of the horn.  The research I've done on the web gives contradictory info.

Mostly, I want to know about it so that I can represent it properly, if and when I decide to sell it.  Can you give me any idea as to its age and comment on its value?   Thank you.

Answer
Thanks for the pictures - they REALLY help!

I believe your horn was made around 1966-67.  Serial number aside, it was probably made in the Nogales factory during the 'crossover' period when they were still undecided as to which number scheme they would use. You may have heard some negatives about 'shooting stars' - but some (especially of this vintage)could be really nice players. They have been listed recently from $500 to maybe even $700 on sites like e-bay. May be tough to find a buyer at that price but if the horn is in good playing condition you might just get lucky!

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera