Saxophone/vintage saxophones

When I moved into our house, we found a saxophone in the attic. It's nickle plated, with mother of pearl buttons. The inscription is as follows: "Pan American, Elkhart, Ind, USA"
PATD September 14, 1915
1153489  A  48946  L
There is an eagle etched with a globe of the western hemisphere.
The case looks to be original,with mouthpiece,and valve oil.
I'd like to know more about this item, and am curious how much it is worth.

Ohhh so much fun to find an old beauty!  I really need to see a picture to help you out, but here are a few things you should definitely do:

1. Get the horn to a local music shop where someone can give it a hands on appraisal. They will be able to tel which type of horn it is (alto, tenor, etc.)

2. Determine the finish - you are saying nickle but it may in fact be silver.

3. Keep all parts and case in tact!  Also if there were any papers or other things of the same time period in with the horn - save them.

The value of this horn will be in its condition - particularly of the lacquer.  That you can identify the eagle and western hemisphere on the globe bodes well.

Follow this link for some great info on the history of these saxophones:

You may not have a highly valuable horn there - but I love the fact that you rescued it and are interested in learning more.  It will make a nice curio in a den or on a wall - and it may in fact be in decent enough shape to be restored and played again.  Good luck!  

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.