Saxophone/Age of Manufacture of a Lafleur Artist Model Alto

Question
Hi Mr Harris,
I have just bought (for a very reasonable price) a Boosey & Hawkes Lafleur 'Artist Model' Alto sax with the serial number 35997.
I wonder if you could help with an approximate age of manufacture please?
I have tried many forums but they don't have B&H or LaFleur serial number listings.
Any help would be most appreciated, thanks and kind regards,
Mike.

Answer
Mike,

Currently Boosey and Hawkes is strictly in the business of music publishing, specifically classical music. If you searched on line, I'm sure you discovered this. The musical instrument division was sold in 2003. To "The Music Group" which also owned Buffet Crampon, Yanagaswia, Rico and a number of other names. In 2007 The Music Group was broken up and many of the names became independent again and some were bought by other companies. However I'm not sure who holds the rights to the musical instrument division of Boosey and Hawkes as it appears to be defunct. This may be why you have not been able to find any info concerning the serial number and dates on line.

However I just happen to have in my stack of books an old serial number list for Boosey and Hawkes from 1986. According to the list, your horn was made around the early to mid 1950's. The list has serial number 52931 as a 1951 manufacture date and then jumps to 115630 in 1955. I don't have any info for dates between those and that is where your instrument falls.  

I hope this helps.  

Saxophone

Charles Harris