Saxophone/Saxophone Manufacturer

Saxophone side image
Saxophone side image  

Saxophone stamp
Saxophone stamp  
Hello Charles,

I was wondering if you would be able to give me some information regarding a Saxophone I was left by my Grandfather? The Saxophone does not have a manufacturer stamp. There is a stamp on the front of the instrument that says Alonzo Leach Hawkeye Des Moines, serial # is 85789 and the case is marked Selmer, I have found some info on Alonzo that states he owned a music store in Des Moines Iowa, And had instruments made with his label. Is there a way to identify this saxophone maker and age, Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Thanks for the question and the photos. Without them I would not have been able to give you an answer. What you have looks like a Martin Handcraft. This is what is known as a stencil saxophone. Meaning a company made it and then "stenciled" a different name on it. Basically if you bought enough of these than you could have your name on them and start the serial number anywhere you liked. This is what Alonzo seems to have done. If you go back and review some of my older messages, you will find a good deal of info on the stencil process or just Google "Stencil Saxophones". Because the serial numbers did not follow the manufactures list they are difficult if not impossible to accurately date. However based on when this design was in production I would estimate it to be from the 1920's or early 30's. If the case says Selmer than the original case was replaced.

I hope this helps....

Good Luck

Charles Harris.  

Charles Harris

questions regarding equipment, performance, repairs, lessons, etc. Almost all saxophone related questions.

I am a professional member of N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instruments Repair Technicians). I have been repairing saxophones, flutes, clarinets, and brass instruments since 1993. I perform in several professional groups covering genres form classical, jazz, and rock.

N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians

St. Petersburg Junior College (AA) University of South Florida.