Saxophone/boosey & co Alto sax

I have a silver plated Alto sax Boosey & co Ltd, Made in London serial no. 27816, British throughout. " The Regent". It also has what I think is a Hall mark IP or LP in an oval.
I would like to know what year it was manufactured in. It is playable but does need to be repaired. The tone is very pure. Absolutely beautiful. Will repairing it affect the tone at all?
I would appreciate any info you could give me.
Many thanks.

Hello Jacqui, repairing your sax will make it sound better...Thanks for your question.
Boosey & Co. was established by Thomas Boosey in 1816 in London, England. They began selling woodwind instruments in 1851. The first flutes were made in 1856 after agreeing to build a flute designed by the Pratten Co. The first "reed" instruments were made in 1879. The largest competitor for Boosey & Co. was Hawkes & Son. In 1934 the two companies joined together to form Boosey & Hawkes. In 1981 Boosey & Hawkes purchased Buffet Crampon, Inc. They are now the exclusive distributor of Buffet woodwinds. In that same year they purchased Schreiber Bassoon Co. In addition to these instruments, they distribute Besson Brass, F. Besson trumpets, Keilwerth Saxophones, Paesold Bows, Schroetter Orchestral Instruments, and Denis Wick. In 2003, Boosey & Hawkes sold its musical instrument division, which included clarinet maker Buffet Crampon and guitar manufacturer Höfner, to "The Music Group", a company formed by rescue buyout specialists Rutland Fund Management, for £33.2 million.• Julius Keilwerth and his brothers were involved with most of the German AND Czech saxophone market, so much so that it’s impossible to just talk about Julius Keilwerth divorced from these other companies.
• While there is a lot of information about Julius Keilwerth out there, a lot of it is in German (which I can’t read) and it’s also partial: no one seems to know the full story of the Keilwerth company and its association with Boosey and Hawkes (before and after they purchased the Keilwerth company), Selmer, Kohlert, Amati and several other smaller manufacturers. The Keilwerth company itself doesn't know its full history: they've even insisted on their forum that all Keilwerth horns are engraved "Made in Germany". That's obviously not the case: Keilwerth was founded in Czechoslovakia!
The different saxophone models were...
The 'Imperial' was regarded as the flagship model in quality, followed by Regent, Emperor,
"Powertone", "La Fleur", Westminister, Oxford, 400 and so on. From the serial number records your sax was made in late 1956-or early 1957.This sax should be a solid, well made german stencil with the name La Fleur engraved upon the body. Saxophones like this are getting more rare, and will increase in value over time. I would love to see some pictures, and we still need more research to learn more about the Boosey & Hawks company. You never hear about them, compared to Conn's, King's, Buescher's, Martin's or Selmer's...hopefully this will change as we shed new light on the historical Boosey and Hawkes saxophones.
Good Luck Grant Koeller

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's