Saxophone/King Zephyr Alto, 1935

QUESTION: I have a vintage alto Zephyr s/n 176... In very good shape in the original case. The sax is silver, gold bell with no dents,it may need pads all else is perfect. I am looking to sell can you please give me a starting price.thanks

ANSWER: Hello Bernie,
YourKing alto sax was made in 1935. The value is dependant on condition. According to my records your sax is not a Zephyr. In 1932, a new alto and tenor models were introduced (the alto made its debut in October 1932, followed by the tenor in December and the baritone in July 1933), known as Voll-True II horns. These are very nice looking instruments, incorporating a "modernistic" appearance and highly stylized look with a new bore for a brighter, more brilliant tone -- geared to the new age of professional commercial playing. The King Zephyr started at serial number #180,000. Your pre Zephyr alto had other Technical Changes in the Voll-True II.
A  Squared off F# trill key and squared off small finger spatulas for each hand
•Smartly designed key and clothes guards, eliminating bumper pads
•Placement of the low B and Bb tone holes on the same side of the body, eliminating muffled tones and enabling a more responsive mechanism (not found on the baritone)
•Larger palm keys
•Adjusting screws for some key heights (G# arm, low D/Eb, etc.)
•A floating octave key cup.
•The key action was revamped to a lighter, flute-like feel and the keys were repositioned for a more natural lay, increasing the facility in technical work.
Your King Voll-True II should be worth around $1100-$1200. If it says Zephyr on the bell, then it's worth about $1800...
Good Luck,
Grant Koeller

The sax
The sax  

Additional photo
Additional photo  
QUESTION: Attached is a overview of my sax, The s/n on it is 176068  it does say Zephyr on the bell.  Grant thanks for your expertise .  I can sent you additional pictures if you want.

Thanks Bernie, Now we have proof that the serial number chart for king is wrong...Your sax is a Zephyr. And a beautiful sax it is...From the web..."In 1935, the Voll-True II was essentially renamed the Zephyr. These horns appear to be the same, and even had the same catalog number. Fortunately, King had the wisdom to abandon the high E mechanism of the Voll-True II  and use a conventional three key layout for the chromatic B flat, chromatic C, and high E.  Sometime around 1940, the Zephyr horns acquired the “socket neck”, which was intended to reduce leakage at the joint between the neck and body. These are really great horns, among the very finest of the era, with an unusually full voice. King took the Zephyr theme a step further in 1939 with the Zephyr Special. These horns had solid silver necks, engraving on some of the keywork, and a different bore. Mother of pearl touches were also added to the palm keys and side keys.  It is my understanding that they were also available with a sterling silver bell, although I have never seen one."
End Web content...
You have one of the very first King Zephyrs ever made!! If I was you I would have a starting price of $2200, then they will try to haggle you down to $2000..
Good Luck! Grant Koeller.  

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's