Saxophone/Martin HANDCRAFT(Phase II) Low Pitch - Tenor Sax

Mr. Koeller,

First of all; thank you for your service to our country. I have played saxophone since junior high school.  I play mostly folk music with family and friends.  I have recently considered the purchase of a new horn.  I have always wanted a Selmer Mark VI but the cost is certainly the hurdle for me.  Years ago a bought a Martin horn listed in a garage sale ad.  I went to see the horn and purchased it for $250.00, that was almost 25 years ago.  I still play that same horn today.  I recently inquired about the model and age of the horn.  From what I have been able to determine from various websites; the horn is a Martin brand, Handcraft model manufactured from 1919 to 1928.  It is called a Phase II meaning the serial numbers range from 21K - 81K.  The serial number on my horn is 71945.  No one has really been able to tell me the value of the horn but my question to you is,  should I leave to horn original?  the finish is really worn in some areas.  I have considered having the horn refinished; mainly to improve the appearance.  The horn still plays great, in fact many musicians have told me they love the sound of my horn.  Any information or advice you could provide is greatly appreciated.  I can send photo's if they prove necessary.

R. Woods

Hello R.
PLEASE LEAVE THE HORN ORIGINAL!! NEVER NEVER NEVER re-lacquer a sax!!! It ruins the sax. From the web...
"These horns are under appreciated. They are undervalued. Play one in good adjustment and youíll see what I mean.  All of the Martin horns have a sweet sound, and a very lush lower end. The horns from 1933 (Handcraft Committee) through the early 60ís (the Magna) can hold their own with anything ever made. There are lots of variations on the Martin theme, and below are the ones that I think you should consider. The early ones are mostly seen in silver, add 15% for gold plate. From the Committee on, they are almost always lacquer. Add 15% for silver, 25% for gold. I've seen a couple of Committee models with sterling silver necks. Add $15% for this feature. End Web Content...
Your sax is from 1926. It is worth about $800-$1100 depending on condition.
Is your sax Lacquered brass or silver plate?
Please send me photos...
Good Luck,
Grant Koeller  

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's