Saxophone/Conn 92m pads

Question
Hi Charles,

I have a 92m alto; and would like to know what original pads were used, please and thank you. Are there any other pad types you might recommend?

Thank you,
Nelson

Answer
Nelson,

The 92M or DJH modified, was a stencil horn made by Keilwerth and shipped to Conn, where it was finished, engraved, etc. Basically this was a Keilwerth Superba II. It's a fantastic professional grade instrument. They were made when Daniel Henkin owned Conn in the early half of the 1980's. The serial numbers on these can be a bit confusing, as Mr. Henkin recycled some of the series from the 1920's on his instruments.

Regarding the type of pad, as it's a newer horn, it most likely used standard kid skin or calf skin pads. More than likely the resonators were metal, but could have just have easily been plastic. Without seeing one in original condition, it would not know. Regardless any repair tech should have pads in stock that would work on this instrument.

As you asked for my opinion, I now only use RooPads on professional level instruments. They have a much firmer feel and last much longer. Plus they never stick as they are made from the skin of Kangaroos'. Kangaroos' do not have sweat glands so the skin is less likely to absorb moisture and stick. The only draw back is the pad cups must be perfectly level for them to seat properly. Personally I love the black pads with the gold or brass resonators.

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.

Charles Harris  

Saxophone

Charles Harris