Saxophone/Very high serial Selmer Alto VI

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I am currently looking at a Sax for my daughter and I am confused looking at facts and tables with models and serials. The horn plays nice (according to my daughter) so we will probably buy it regardless, but I think the price should be lower for a VII if that is the case.

The serial of the horn is M239894 which indicates it is way out of range for being a VI. Still it clearly stamped with VI.

Are the VI models known to exist in parelell with VII? I noted the M23 in the serial are different from the last 4 digits that seem to have been stamped later. Is this normal?

Thanks - I dont want my daughters saving going to waste..

ANSWER: Hello Jorgen,
There was a Mark 6 to Mark 7 overlap as parts were used up...if 239*** is the serial number, this is a 1975 Selmer mark 6, however all the serial number tables say that the last mark 6 was a 231***,(1973) so this proves those charts are wrong, it is definitely the very last mark 6 ever made!!!! Remember that there was an overlap, when the Mark 7 came out...If it plays great, get it. Just make sure it isn't a forged serial number. Please Call 1-800-USA-horn for a second opinion...Good Luck, Please send me photos of the serial number...
Grant Koeller

QUESTION: Hi, we did not buy since my daughter found it difficult to play. I would be glad to send you pictures if you wish to see them. We got a black super 80 series 2 instead. What is you email adress?

Answer
Hello Jorgen,
Please post pictures here,you can send it private, or public it's your choice... The Selmer Super Action 80 Series II is a great sax and perfect for jazz, concert band, classical wind ensemble, or any type of gig...Plus it's not so expensive as a Mark 6...or you can post them  to my face book page...
Good luck!
Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller