Saxophone/Yani A5, tending to play flat, mouthpiece?

Question
My son, age 15, plays a Yanagisawa A5 / Dorado 600 stencil (A5-2731161) in great condition, but is not able to get the Concert B flat in tune.  It plays flat by about -25  on his KORG tuner, with the mouthpiece pushed in as far as possible.  He recently switched from a Vandoren AL3 to an AL4 mouthpiece on the advice of his instructor.  This has improved his sound and brought it closer to being in tune, but as I mentioned, still not very much in tune.  

I am willing to tinker by increasing the diameter of the mouthpiece to allow it to be pushed in further, but not with the new $110 Vandoren AL4.  I am thinking to try this on a $30 used hard rubber mouthpiece is similar to the AL4, if that is feasible.  (Note also, he uses a Vandoren 3 reed.)

We tried a very cheap plastic mouthpiece that has a larger inside bore, it went further onto the neck cork, and his B flat was no longer flat.  However, he found that other notes were then sharp.  We attribute some of this to the vastly inferior plastic mouthpiece.

What might be the problem?  Can it be fixed with via the mouthpiece.

thanks!

Answer
Hello Dave,
This is a really good question... The answer lies with his sax instructor.
Please have his sax instructor play his sax, with the korg tuner, using the sax instructors mouthpiece. Have him tune to high G not low G (concert Bb). If he plays it perfectly in tune then we know it's not the sax or the neck.. Vandoren mouthpieces are long bodied... really grease up the cork and push it on all the way until it stops... The neck might be slightly too long or it could be his embouchure is too loose. A vandoren 3 reed is a somewhat hard reed, I was going to say his reed is too soft, but it's not. The reed is fine. The mouthpiece needs to go further on the neck cork to bring up the pitch... The Vandoren inner shank diameter is too small on the vandoren mouthpiece's. Thats why his cheap plastic mouthpiece works to bring up the pitch. If I was you, I would have him get the greatest mouthpiece out there, a Meyer 6MM, .076" tip. These mouthpieces have the correct round New York chamber for a big sound, hollowed out side walls and a flat table with a roll-over baffle. This is a serous professional hard rubber jazz lead mouthpiece, and it's perfect for high school band, marching, pep band, jazz band, and concert band...that Vandoren AL4 still has a really small tip. By the way...There are fantastic plastic mouthpieces out there, so just because it's plastic doesn't make it inferior. Once again I'm curious what the sax instructors pitch is on his own mouthpiece set-up so we can rule out the sax and neck.
Thanks, Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller