Saxophone/Deaman President Alto saxophone

Question
Dearman President Alto
Dearman President Alto  

Dearman President Atlo
Dearman President Atlo  
Hi Grant, I have been given a Dearman President Alto saxophone serial number 8881, seems to be fairly old. It is working but could probably do with an overhaul as it probably hasn't been used for years. Is it worth anything? Would it be suitable for my young grandaughter (10 years old) to learn to play on, she currently is learning the clarinet. If I wish to sell it but don't want to give it away for a silly price, what would be a resonable price to ask for it. I don't really know much about vintage saxophones and would appreciate some advice (especially if it is not suitable for my grandaughter) as to where to advertise it for sale. Would it be stupid to sell it on ebay? (I am in the UK). Hope you can help and many thanks for you time.

Answer
Hello Eluned,
Thank you for letting me answer your question. I got a question from another person, Nathan...Here it is..."Hello Mr. Koeller, I have a New Super Dearman, that I acquired years ago at an auction for next to nothing and have recently been considering having it restored professionally. It is in a sorry state as far as cosmetics go, and also needs attention mechanically but there is no real damage.  I have searched everywhere online and found very little on the origins of this sax, and what I have found is quite contradictory. I found a question you answered from a lady called Jane and thought you may be able to help me. However Dallas does not appear on it anywhere. There is a serial 6271, and similarities (ie the nail file G# key). Any help you could give me would be much appreciated, as I want to establish whether spending the money on a restoration is worth while, or I should simply use the money towards a new sax. I could upload some photos if this may help."
well, your sax was manufactured in Eastern Europe.(foreign stamp) The New Super Dearman and the Dearman president was a Czech Conn Stencil for Dallas of London. It's basically a Conn copy. It looks like a vintage Conn complete with vintage G# trill key, Fork Eb trill key and Nail-file G#. It was made in the 1950's for Dallas of London, England, the same people who made the Grafton plastic alto saxophone that was used by the famous Charlie Parker, inventor of Bebop and the greatest alto soloist of all time. The Super Dearman is the House stencil used by J.E. Dallas, who went on to be part of Dallas-Arbiter. Your horn is stamped "Foreign".  There is also a "Dearman President" in addition to the "Super Dearman". It's a good solid horn, with a great mouthpiece this would be an unreal Jazz set-up.  You could upgrade to a Meyer 6MM, or a hard rubber Otto Link  6 facing,  Please Get it fixed up by a NAPBIRT repair tech. If you don't want it after the overhaul, sell it, and recover you expenses. It's not that expensive to do a "make play" sax repair on this horn. $45 to $150. If you want it to look like a museum piece, that it will cost $250-$650. They will replace all pads, corks and felts.  Please leave the lacquer finish alone. Any dent work is extra. When your done, you will have a piece of history, one of a kind, to play in a small Jazz Combo, rock group, Blues jam, community band, Church band, local Polka band, or Latin band. This sax was meant to be played.  Any new horn will cost way more than this horn. And will it be any better? Probably not... Maybe the key work of a new horn will be a copy of a Selmer Mark VI key-work, but this Dearman has way more total vibe. It's totally authentic, fat tone, and solid real brass, are rare in today's world. This sax has real brass, not pot metal (melted down Toyota's). To get it to play better, put Old English Furniture oil on the pads, sold in stores,(it's just lemon oil). Take a Q-tip and apply to each and every pad. Now, the compression will be at 100%. Now get a micro oiler, and oil the keys at every pivot point. Play chromatic scales to work the oil in. Lastly get a good mouthpiece, I like the Meyer Hard rubber. It is the number one alto mouthpiece in the world. I use a 7MM facing. Other popular facings are the 5MM and 6MM.. These mouthpieces were used by Cannonball Adderley and Phil Woods. Perfect for lead alto in a big band or Jazz combo session work! Thanks for the great question! The value is $275-375, before overhaul to $600-$775 after overhaul. this is a perfect first sax for a student. By the way, selling on ebay is not stupid, it is an effective way to sell something. If I was you, I would keep this sax,it's a perfect student saxophone.
Good luck!
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller