Saxophone/Interest in Purchasing Intermediate Tenor or Alto Saxophone

Hi Eugene

I'm interested in purchasing an intermediate new/used alto or tenor saxophone. Can you recommend the best approach in finding one? I've budgeted about $600.00 towards this purchase.

Remember that tenor saxes tend to be more expensive - so you may get more for your money if purchase an alto.  There are many, many saxophones on sites like e-bay and you can really get some good deals IF you keep in mind the following things:

1. Stick with a name brand (Yamaha, Selmer, Keilwerth, Yanagisawa)
2. Make sure the horn is in good 'playing' condition
3. It's best to ask for a grace period where you can get your horn thoroughly checked out

If you decide to purchase your horn locally, try to find a shop that has a good selection.  There are even rent-to-own options in many shops.  Summer is a good time to look for deals as kids are turning in their school rental horns.  There are good bargains to be gotten if you stick to name brands - most notably Yamaha #23 or the any of the #800 series horns.

If you get REALLY lucky you might find an old Selmer Mark VI, but like a rare baseball card, they are tough to come by and if the owner knows what they have, it will set you back far more than $600!

Good luck!

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.