Saxophone/King Cleveland Model 613 alto saxophone

Question
Alto Saxophone
Alto Saxophone  

side 2 alto saxophone
side 2 alto saxophone  
I have a Eb alto saxophone with acorn engraving, H.N White Co./Cleveland. The serial # is C 112672. It was my saxophone in grade school through high school, so thinking it as purchased in late 50's/early 60's. It is in good condition. I would like to sell it, but have no idea of it's worth. The body is gold/brass with silver keys & pearl inlays.  Original case included. Could you please give me information on which company actually made this, I am not certain if it was made by White, King, Conn,etc. & it's value. Thank-you for your time.

Answer
Hello you have a King Cleveland Model 613 alto saxophone.This was a  student alto sax made by King Cleveland(parent company is H.N.White). This sax was made in 1961. It is perfect for marching and also for a first time beginning student. The keys are solid nickle, the body is brass with a gold colored lacquer sprayed on. The value is about $275-$325. This sax was made by King Cleveland, It is a second line sax.

From the web..."What's a "Second-Line" Instrument?
The best way of thinking of a second-line instrument is that they are student/intermediate horns sold by a major saxophone manufacturer. The most common American second-line:

* The Conn Pan-American
* The Martin Indiana
* The King Cleveland
* The Buescher Elkhart

In all the above cases EXCEPT for Conn, the name of the second-line instrument comes from the name of a company that was bought out (for example, the Indiana Band Instrument company was purchased by Martin). In all cases, these horns generally follow the rules for stencils, except that they were actually sold by the companies that produced them -- they just had different names on the bell.

* The King Cleveland was actually produced by the Cleveland Band Instruments company, as a kind of "wholly owned subsidiary" of the HN White Company after HN White purchased them in 1925. Also, the Cleveland has its own serial number chart and, while they have the distinctive keywork of other King saxophones, the body is rather dissimilar."
End web content...

Thanks,
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller