Saxophone/Low Pitch 'A' Indiana Band Instrument Co. Silver colored Saxophone

Question
Hello Grant,
I recently acquired the above listed Saxophone and was curious to find out it's age. It is serial 80XX and smells like it's from the 20-30's. I haven't found any info online and saw your post about a similar saxophone and thought you might know.
Thank you for your time,
Amber

Answer
Hello Amber,
You have a second line sax..."from the web...
What's a "Second-Line" Instrument?

The best way of thinking of a second-line instrument is that they are student/intermediate horns sold by a major saxophone manufacturer. The most common American second-line:

* The Conn Pan-American
* The Martin Indiana
* The King Cleveland
* The Buescher Elkhart

In all the above cases EXCEPT for Conn, the name of the second-line instrument comes from the name of a company that was bought out (for example, the Indiana Band Instrument company was purchased by Martin). In all cases, these horns generally follow the rules for stencils, except that they were actually sold by the companies that produced them -- they just had different names on the bell.

Interesting notes:
* The Conn Pan-Americans did not always use the same tone-hole layout of the Conn New Wonder. The keywork also gradually got more and more dissimilar than that found on the Conn pro line and was then used on the Conn Director instruments of the late 1950's and 1960's.
* The King Cleveland was actually produced by the Cleveland Band Instruments company, as a kind of "wholly owned subsidiary" of the HN White Company after HN White purchased them in 1925. Also, the Cleveland has its own serial number chart and, while they have the distinctive keywork of other King saxophones, the body is rather dissimilar.
* The Buescher Elkhart is sort-of a stencil: an Elkhart-labeled horn is an older True Tone model, made with the same old tooling, but made in the 1930's (or so). The Elkhart, however, is engraved as such and was available in lacquer.
* The quality of second-line horns was generally higher than their stencil brethren.
End web content...
The Martin Indiana was made from 1942 to 1962...but you have a real Indiana band instrument company sax...In 1928, Martin acquired controlling interest in The Indiana Band Instrument Company, which operated as a separate company until 1942, when it moved under the flag of Martin to become the producer of student line instruments, a strong growing market at that time.  Chris Holz, a grandson of Fred A. Holz (President MBI from '31 until '48) has brought to my attention that all Martin instruments where made at the MBI plant itself.
So my assumption that their student models where made in the old Indiana Band Industries plant was false. He states......."Martin did not incorporate the IBICO division until late 1928. There has been incorrect Indiana Band Instrument Co web information for years. It was never a prior company taken over by Martin - It was formed as a wholly owned entity within Martin to market their less expensive lines as well as stencils. My grandad was one of the founding officers. They are outstanding horns, usually modeled after past designs and then sold at lower cost without the Martin logo (but the same craftsmen."
End web content.
This all gets so confusing... but here are the facts...Your sax was made in the the late 20's, or early 30's. Remember that the first Indiana Band Instrument was made in 1928. It is worth about $450-$500. These are wonderful saxophones, please get it all fixed up.
Good Luck,
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller