Saxophone/Value - Bundy Alto Saxophone

I recently came across a Bundy Alto Saxophone with serial number 954703. I'm curious about how much it's worth and whether it's a student model.

Yes a Bundy saxophone is a student model. The serial number you have would put it's manufacture date around the mid 1980's therefore you should have a Bundy II.

The Bundy II is the most mass produced instrument in the history of the saxophone. They were made for the student market as such the Selmer company produced between 70,000 to 100,000 of them a year from 1980 until 1995. A conservative estimate would indicate just over a million of these were produced. After 1983 Selmer stopped releasing serial numbers and so there is no way to know for sure exactly how many were made.

The great thing about these is they were built like a tank. Thats good considering it's a student model and kids would be using them. As long as the horn is complete and has no missing parts or major damage they can be brought back to like new condition fairly easily.

The value of these vary greatly. They sell between $200 to maybe $600 if they are in great condition. If the horn needs a to have all the pads replaced, that can cost you between $400 to $800 depending on the tech. So often these are not worth the money to get fixed up. However if you can get it cheep and then get it fixed you may turn a small profit, or if you plan on using it for a few years then getting it fixed up would be a good investment.

Good luck.

Charles Harris.  

Charles Harris

questions regarding equipment, performance, repairs, lessons, etc. Almost all saxophone related questions.

I am a professional member of N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instruments Repair Technicians). I have been repairing saxophones, flutes, clarinets, and brass instruments since 1993. I perform in several professional groups covering genres form classical, jazz, and rock.

N.A.P.B.I.R.T (National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians

St. Petersburg Junior College (AA) University of South Florida.