Saxophone/Yanagisawa baritone sax

Question
Hi, there is a Yanagisawa baritone sax, serial #672674, that I can get for $1000. It looks okay, but there are a few small dents, and it may need a complete repad, although the seller says that I could get away with a partial repad to make it playable. Is this a good deal? Also can you tell me how old this baritone sax is? Thanks.

Answer
Emmanouel,

A Yani Bari for $1000. I would go for it. Even if it needs a complete overhaul, your going to come out great. A complete overhaul on a bari sax will cost you between $800 to $1500 maybe a bit more depending on where you take it and what work needs to be done. A Yanagisawa bari sells on Ebay between $3500 to $8000. So even if you had to drop $2000 to get it playing you will have a great instrument.

In my opinion, I would not recommend a "partial" repad. There is really no such thing. A repad is a repad. A partial is referred to as a play condition repair. This is done to get the horn into a condition where it will play but it will not be perfect. Only time I recommend this is when the horn comes in for a check up or if there has been minor damage. If it needs more than half the pads replaced than you might as well replace them all/ If not you will be replacing the other half in a within 3 years or the horn will be in and out of the shop getting minor fixes all the time. In the long run, you will have paid more than what you would for a complete repad.

Also ask the tech what he will do. If you find someone that says a re-pad is just a replacement of the pads, find a new tech. A repad (AKA mechanical overhaul) requires all pads, felts, corks, etc, to be replaced and readjusted. This insures the horn will be as close to new as possible.

If you need to find a qualified tech in your area go to www.napbirt.org and do a tech search for someone near you.

As far as age, thats a tough call. Yanagisawa has never really been forthcoming with a serial number list and what I find on line is more or less a complitation by individuals who have put things together based on when horns were bought. So it's not very accurate. The best I can find is on the Yanagisawa serial list is this link...

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=man&manID=21

I hope this helps. if there is anything else I can do please ask.

Charles Harris  

Saxophone

Charles Harris