Saxophone/C-Melody Grand Opera

I have a Stamped Conn, Grand Opera, silver nickel with a serial number that begins with P (P18020), not M. when I purchased it, I was told that it was in the U.S. military band that marched into Berlin, 1942. I can't find any info on Conn's with this type of serial number.

The "P" serial number is based on the Pan American line for Conn. During WWII it is possible that Conn was using up inventory as the factory was being converted over to be used for the war effort. The M series had rolled tone holes, P series did not. Same body dimensions, may have slightly different key work. Hope this helps.

Jeff "Doc" Frazier
Co-owner - J and J Woodwinds

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe