Saxophone/Baronet alto saxophone

Question
QUESTION: I have a Baronet alto saxophone, I have had since back in the early sixties, when I was 10 years old.  I was just wondering who might have made it, and about how much it is worth. It has some engraving around the name, but is hard to distinguish, with a serial number of 9025 on it.  I had some new pads and repairs done to it, in 2006.  If my grand niece wants it, I will give it to her.  Thanks

ANSWER: Hello David, Thanks for your question.
You have a stencil saxophone. What's a stencil sax you ask? A stencil is a saxophone made by a major manufacturer but will have a different name on it. Music stores, schools and other businesses would order a number of saxophones from a major saxophone maker and have their name put on instead of the company that made them. A major manufacturer could also create separate brand names to compete in certain markets or may have purchased a smaller company and kept the name. Whatever the reason, for the most part these stencil horns were built with many of the features and quality of their parent company. The major saxophone companies that made stencils were Conn, Buescher, Martin, Selmer, Holton and York. Some of these companies were purchased in time and became stencils themselves. There are many ways to tell if a saxophone was produced by a certain company. Tone hole construction, G# key cluster design, key guard design, key layout, octave mechanism type, serial number markings and many more.  Most stencils did not follow the parent companies serial number range so it is hard to tell the year it was made.  I have seen all too many saxophones with the finish ruined by someone using an abrasive like Tarn-x in an attempt to clean a saxophone. This will remove the lacquer right down to bare metal. Even silver polish can damage the finish on some silver plated horns. If you're not sure how to clean a horn, don't do it. Please find a NAPBIRT Trained repair technician to do the restoration. A ruined finish could subtract hundreds from it's value. Stencil saxophones do NOT use the same serial number ranges as the major brand that made it. For instance if you have Maxi-tone Made By Buescher, the serial number is NOT going to be the same as a real Buescher so you can't use the Buescher serial number list. Your sax was made by Buescher. The Baronet line was a stencil, made in Elkhart, Indiana. It's a nice, solid well made saxophone perfect for Jazz. This sax would be best labeled as a semi pro model, even though, back then all horns were made by the parent company. This sax wasn't as expensive as a real Buescher, but it was almost as nice as one. I would bet that this sax is a real player! Find a local NAPBIRT trained repair technician, and get this horn fixed up. Leave the finish alone. It's worth way more in original condition.
I would say that your sax, depending on condition is worth about $450 to $780 but I haven't seen it, so please send some pictures. That is a low serial number. This horn may be from the early 1920's. Please call 1-800-USA-Horn, Sax Quest, or Sax Gourmet and get even more information. This is the real deal! Vintage, Made IN USA!!!
Good Luck!Grant Koeller

sax in case
sax in case  

top of sax
top of sax  
QUESTION: Here is a picture of the sax.  If you some more, please let me know.
Thanks..

Answer
After further research I found out that in 1942 the E.K. Blessing company from Elkhart, Indiana had a second line that was called the Baronet. These were made by the same caliber of skilled workers who worked for Conn, Buescher and Martin. The top of the line E.K. Blessing saxophone was played by Charlie Barnet. This sax looks to be from the 40's or early 50's. Very unusual design on the key guards. No Laquer remains, this is basically bare brass, but leave the finish alone. Do not reLacquer this sax. This horn could be a fantastic player with the right mouthpiece, (Meyer 6MM,or Meyer 7MM).
Thanks for the great photos! Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller