Saxophone/Conn Bari Sax 82MA

Question
Hello,  I see a Conn Bari Sax 82MA on ebay but I can't find anything about it on the net.  Have you heard of a Conn Bari Sax 82MA?  If so, what is your impression of the sax?

I know very little about sax's but my son has played one for a couple of years and I would like to buy something that will play beyond a school band but within a reasonable cost.  Should I buy something used or something like a Orpheo Signature bari new?  It's pretty confusing to me.  I do know that he wants it to have a Low A.

Thanks, Keith.

Answer
Hello Keith,
This is a good solid Bari made in the UMI factory in Elkhart Indiana,and they produced pretty darn respectable instruments under the Conn, King, and Armstrong label from 1984-2003, when Selmer bought them out.
Under UMI, all production was returned to US soil and most saxes were made at the Armstrong facility, which had tooling and fabrication based off of the JK models which Herb Couf had subcontracted in the '70's. Some horns still show the stylistic connection to the Elkhart-made Conns of earlier days; whether this tooling was moved to Armstrong or whether Henkin or UMI had these more Conn-esque older models made elsewhere, it is hard to say.

King 660, 665 Altos and the 662 Tenor, and Conn very late 16M, then 22M & 9M & 34M Tenors and 5M, 24M & 25M Altos were all produced at this time and they are surprisingly decent. No, not pro-grade nor of the echelon of the Classic Conns or the '20's thru '60's....but pretty darn well-made, good sounding horns which competed quite successfully with the Japanese all thru the 90's.

Now the Baritones, of which there are far less around; they kept 2 styles going. One was basically an updated Conn 12M/11M which still maintained the exact same body specs as the Elkhart-made ones; these show up fairly often on eFlay, sometimes with the Conn name and sometimes with the Armstrong name....
The other was a more JK-influenced model, a Low A mode (CONN 82MA) which UMI produced pretty darn respectable instruments under the Conn, King, and Armstrong label from 1984-2003, when Selmer bought them out.

The price is right, and this would be a fine bari for marching band, bug band, or concert band...
Thanks!
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller