Saxophone/Domage Alto sax

Question

I recently purchased a E. Domage saxophone with the following information on it. PATD. Sept. 14 1915, 1153489, A, 42058, L .
I salvaged it from a gentleman's estate sale when after helping them clean the people conducting the estate sale, I noticed this sax stuffed up in the ceiling of his garage. It looks like it has been there many years based on it condition. The finish is gone, lots of surface corrosion on the hole covers and linkage and general dirt and cob webs. It is not dented, it is missing the mouth piece that slides over the end, and the corks are missing or no good. I see no other name on it like you mentioned in an answer you gave someone else. Any idea of the make, model, type and general value? Also what would be an average repair on something this beat up and if repaired what type of value. Thanks for your response and your service in our military. My Dads is WWII and Korean vet who served in Aleutian Islands and is still hanging in there!! Thanks again!!

Answer
Hello Will,Your alto sax is a stenciled second line horn from Conn .  That was Conn's second line. The sax was engraved for E. Domage Phila. PA.  The "L" stands for "Low Pitch" (Today's Pitch standard of A=440HZ. What is a stencil? A stencil is a saxophone made by a major manufacturer but will have a different name on it. Music stores, schools and other businesses would order a number of saxophones from a major saxophone maker and have their name put on instead of the company that made them. A major manufacturer could also create separate brand names to compete in certain markets or may have purchased a smaller company and kept the name. Whatever the reason, for the most part these stencil horns were built with many of the features and quality of their parent company. The major saxophone companies that made stencils were Conn, Buescher, Martin. Selmer, Holton and York. Some of these companies were purchased in time and became stencils themselves. There are many ways to tell if a saxophone was produced by a certain company. Tone hole construction, G# key cluster design, key guard design, key layout, octave mechanism type, serial number markings and Iím sure their are more. Speaking of serial numbers most stencils did not follow the parent companies serial number range so it is hard to tell the year it was made. You can estimate the date of manufacture by looking at the saxophones features(G# trill Key, fork Eb trill) and the engraving patterns. The patent date info is for the patent for rolled tone holes. All in all this sounds like a killer sax from the late 1920's. I bet it's perfect for Jazz, heck, even Charlie Parker could have played this fine classic sax!!  The E.Domage was made by Conn, they were Conn's second line. To spend so much money on a sax from the late 20 early 30's in order to fix it up,($450 to $850 ) to get it up and playing, then you could then sell it, and you might break even. Most professional players would rather have the real Conn sax from the same period. Saxophones like these tend to end up being used by students who drop them or trash them. If you are no longer able to play, this sax would be perfect for a hobby player in a local community concert band, or local pick up jazz band. I haven't seen it, I'm assuming it's silver plate, this could be worth anywhere from $575 to $1050 depending on condition. If a sax from that time period doesn't say MARTIN, BUESCHER CONN or KING, then it won't be worth top dollar, now here's the funny part, it was made by Conn, the same craftsman that made those top brands in Elkhart, Indiana(Conn, Buescher,and Martin). So this sax will play great!!! The quality is there and it will be a looker and a player now that you've had all that work done..If or when you sell it, tell them it's a Conn- E. Domage Stencil saxophone. Please go to your local NAPBIRT repair tech,and haved them repad and total owerhaul this fine old sax,when done it will play great!!
Good Luck!
Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller