Saxophone/saxophone/alto

Question
I want to sell my son's saxophone/alto/vito-LEbLANC. It's 5 years old. I rent-to-own and made the last payment. Total cost to music store $850 to $950. I want to sell it to someone in the school band but, don't know what to ask for it. It's in good condition and I had the music store do a minor repair, no rust,pads are good,scrathes on the gold looking coating. Please give me an idea how much I should ask for it. Thank you

Answer
Mike - Here's the sad truth about this particular used student saxophone.....it's worth between $200 (in fair condition) to maybe $400 (if it's in VERY good condition). If you do a quick search on e-bay you'll see just about price in between.  

So, by you selling your horn to someone "in the school band" you might argue that there is convenience for them and thus you can save them shipping, but the truth is, they can go right to your local shop and "rent to own" for a brand new one that is under some sort of warranty...and the cycle continues on and on...

Student horns are very much like cars, as soon as they are driven out of the shop, they lose their value. If you are the parent of a band kid, you might want to save this horn for them to use in marching band.  Otherwise, I'm afraid it's going to be tricky to try and recoup most of the 'own' portion you put in.  

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera