Saxophone/Selmer Mark VII - I think

I have what appears to be a Selmer Mark VII, based on the layout of the instrument and the 'ergonomic' keys. It looks exactly like the Mark VII with the serial number 291835. However there in no Selmer or Mark VII shown anywhere on the horn. Did Selmer create any of these and not include the Selmer name? Is it possible the tooling was sold after the making of the Mark VII and this was produced by another company? Any insight would be appreciated.

Hi Marty,

I have researched this for you to the point of no more answers! Selmer tells me this is not a Selmer but a copy. The rep says that none of their instruments leave the factory without the Selmer name, Selmer patent numbers, etc...The Asian markets have been copying them for years, even to the point now of using the "Selmer" logo, which is not even a good copy of that. I was also informed that "Selmer has not nor will they ever sell the tooling to any instrument that they have produced!" I thought, wow, don't take it out on me! I hope this helps.

Jeff "Doc" Frazier

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe