Saxophone/Vito alto saxophone

Question
I recently had a Vito alto saxophone that is stamped "made in France" given to me. My daughter is starting band this year at school and wants to use it. Her band director has looked it over and said it is in good working order. Cosmetically the finish on it is kind of rough but other than that everything is fine. I'm just curious as to its value. Can you help me?

Answer
Marie,

I have to apologize for not getting to this sooner. Sometimes the e-mails from this site get knocked to my junk mail and that is what happened here so please forgive me.

The Vito saxophones were produced by the Leblanc corporation as their student line. They are named after one of the founders of Leblanc, Vito Pascucci. The Vito instruments were all stenciled, meaning they were made by one company and had the Vito name stamped on them. Leblanc never produced a Vito instrument in their own factory. Vito saxophones were made by Baugnier in France, Conn in the United States, Yamaha in Japan and many other factories all over the world. This resulted in so many different designs in Vito saxophones that after 20 years in the repair business I'll still come across a model that I don't recognize.

As far as value it's going to rate pretty much the same as any student model. $450 to $800 depending on condition. If the finish is rough, I would leave it alone. It would be cheaper to just buy a new horn than have it refinished. The reasons for this vary greatly and many techs don't want to deal with the chemicals and equipment needed to strip the old lacquer, clean the body, respray, etc. Plus the inspection and disposal cost of the stuff makes it a money loosing venture for most shops.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and again I apologize for not getting to you sooner.

Charles Harris  

Saxophone

Charles Harris