Saxophone/Conn Necks

Question
QUESTION: I'm trying to understand what the different markings on old Conn saxes mean. I have seen STD M, Metro, STD D. Usually on the neck but sometimes on the body also. How is a Metro different from a standard. Is the bore different on these? Is it just the neck? They all pretty much look the same on the outside. Mostly 6M models from the 30's and 40's with the micro tune neck. Any info would be helpful.  Thanks!!

ANSWER: Hi Tom,

The difference between the necks that you mentioned is 1) bore dimensions 2) taper 3) octave pip placement 4) octave pip size. The different octave key setup depended on the model of the horn. The linkage for the under- slung neck keys is different than the over-slung system. I have seen each model you listed with both key styles! I hope this helps.

Jeff "Doc" Frazier
co-owner - J and J Woodwinds LLC
www.JandJWoodwinds.com
866-996-6394

QUESTION: Your answer is appreciated. Which is the larger bore? I'm assuming std is standard so is the metro larger or smaller? These things can make a huge difference in pitch and projection. Are they interchangeable? I'm going to assume it needs to mate with the body but, a small change would just affect the "color" of the instrument. I would love to try these things!

Answer
STD, STD D, STD M, Metro, Metro VII in that order as far as I.D. Those are the ones that I have seen over the years. Interchangeability is determined by the octave linkage setup. Keep in mind that the neck octave pip placement also varies between the different models and may affect response in the upper register while trying to zero in on "THE sound".  

Saxophone

Jeff Frazier