Saxophone/Tenor and Alto Saxophones

Question
QUESTION: Good evening Mr. Koeller,

My Dad who would have been 99 years old this year played beautiful music on his two saxophones.

The first is a Tenor Conn with this info: 1119954 Patd Dec. 8 1914.  It has a number of M251359 with a T above it and an "L" below it.

The second is a Buescher Artistocrat Elkhart IN USA.  Serial number is 275927 low pitch.

What can you tell me about his two horns?

ANSWER: Hello Amy,
Both of his saxophones were made in Elkhart Indiana. Both are low pitch which is good. That is today's pitch standard A=440. The "T" stands for tenor.The tenor is a Conn New Wonder Transitional that was made in 1932.  
from the web...
"Conn TRANSITIONAL" 240XXX - 260XXX
You'll see these with different keywork styles, and almost always with
elaborate engraving. Most are in silver. Deduct 10% for lacquer, add 30% for
gold. These horns have a real cult following.
Alto $ 2400
Tenor $ 3000
Baritone $ 3100
END WEB CONTENT...

Your dads Tenor is worth about $3000 in mint condition...
Now lets look at the alto.
It's a Buescher Aristocrat alto ,also Low Pitch, Made in Elkhart in 1936.

From the web...BUESCHER ARISTOCRAT 270XXX - 290XXX
Tenors and alto horns only. The others were still basically True Tones.
These are really nice players, much sought after. You'll be unlikely to find
them in anything but lacquer. Add 20% for silver. I've never seen a gold
example. These horns are much more desirable than any of their ancestors.
Alto $ 1800
Tenor $ 2300
END WEB CONTENT
So you can see that the Buescher alto is worth about $1800 in mint condition however the Lacquer must be original and not re-lacquered.
Please keep in mind that these are  vintage professional saxophones and not for beginning students. 5th graders will drop saxophones and smash them...Keep the kids far away..Any pro would want to buy these and play them...
Thanks and Good Luck!!
Grant Koeller

QUESTION: Thank you so very much for educating me about my Dad's saxophones.  I am so happy to have this information.  My daughter has my Dad's Buffet clarinet.  I had given her all the horns when my Dad passed, and recently she said she wanted to give the saxophones back to me because her love is the clarinet, and she would probably never play the saxophones.  I want to find a buyer who will love these horns and make beautiful music with them like my Dad did.  Would you suggest I have them refurbished as they have sat in their cases not being used for almost 25 years now?   I have to say I actually came to tears when I gently took them out of their cases to look at them knowing how many hours they were held and played by my Dad.  I didn't know how emotional this would be!  We have a fine store here locally that I know would do a great job with them (a place that my Dad always went to) - so you know it has been around for many, many years.  And if I do this, would you suggest a full refurbish or just have certain things done?  Again - thank you so very much for your expertise.

Answer
Do not refurbish them!!!!! That will lower the value. Let the buyer have the work done that need to be done. Most people take a vintage saxophone in to a local music store and the store says... "you need a total overhaul" That will be $850...next thing you know, they are relacquering the saxes finish. That is a big no no!!!!Leave the saxophones finish original!!!!You need to go to NAPBIRT website and locate the nearest certified repair tech.  He can tell what the sax needs and doesn't need.He can appraise the value. Also go to completed ebay sales for value. An old sax will need some of the leather pads replaced. It will need key oil for the keys and maybe a new neck cork. If it is totally trashed, it will need a new total overhaul but not the finish!!!! thanks Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller