Saxophone/Selmer USA tenor sax

Question
I am interested in purchasing a tenor saxophone for my daughter who started playing sax this year in her high school band (was playing clarinet).  She is interested in pursuing college at a school who has marching band as well.  I have recently been made aware of a somewhat local sax for sale in our area, but the owner is currently out of town and am awaiting his return for possible further information.  In the meantime, he was only able to provide the following information:   Selmer Tenor Saxophone 1980.  A text to him gave made the following additional information:  Selmer USA serial #822629.  I have searched and searched and the closest I have come to this serial number is "The Model 164 was the first tenor introduced around serial number 823000."  I am interested in any information you might have that would help me decide if it is even worth taking a small road trip to check out this saxophone.  Thanks,  Maria

Answer
In the early 1980's Selmer USA made a high quality semi pro model called the Omega. (Selmer USA)
The Selmer USA Omega tenor saxophone, (serial number 827571).  Built in the early 1980's this Omega was Selmer USA's first venture into the entry pro level saxophone. Today these are heavily sought after step up instruments as well as being sought after by the professional player on a budget. Both sonically and the physical feel of the Omega is reminiscent of earlier vintage saxophones by Selmer Paris. The build quality and great playability of this tenor, with a great price in the intermediate range.
from the web...   

"This particular Selmer Omega is in mint physical condition and has no history of repair.  If you look closely you might find a couple of very light scratches.  But for the most part the tenor is in like new condition. It is currently being professionally set-up in the Saxquest shop and comes in perfect playing condition with a hard case. $1995. "

Back in 1983 the Woodwind and Brasswind sold the Omega sax alto
for $1,030 with a retail price of $1,500. Now for comparison, the French Paris Selmer  
Super Action 80 (SA80) sold for $1,495 and retail $2,300.
From the web... "Selmer Model 164 "Omega" Bb Tenor. It's currently being sold at saxquest.com  s/n is 821,628. Note the engraving. very nice"
bottom line, these are great horns and people are snapping them up...
Go for it!
Grant Koeller  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller