Saxophone/York Alto Saxophone

I own a York Alto Saxophone which I believe is in the key of F. It is somewhat smaller than a standard Eb. Can you tell me if it is a rare instrument and does it have any value?

Mike - There are indeed some old horns made in F - they are even rarer than C melody horns and often referred to as 'mezzo soprano' saxes. As far as value, that will be determined almost solely by the condition since it is not practical for playing today.

If your horn is indeed in F and is in good playing and (most importantly), original condition i.e. parts, lacquer, neck and mouthpiece, case, etc. it may also be of interest to a collector - if you can find one that is.

All that being said I've seen a few of these for sale..they range from 'like new', 100% all original lacquer going for as much as $3,000, all the way down to $300 for one that had no neck, no case, and lacked almost all of it's lacquer. Again, the tricky thing is finding someone who wants one but it may be worth the search.  I hope that helps a little!  

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.