Saxophone/Conn Stencil, Harwood Curved Soprano Sax

Question
Hello Mr. Grant, I went on ebay and found a good deal on a curved Harwood brand curved soprano and without looking into it I won the bid. But after researching I looked at the key layout and to my surprise I may have made a mistake and now Im stuck with maybe an unplayable horn if only keyed up to Eb. I hope Im wrong, Can you tell me more about this horn and if it would be worth my time to get it into playing condition. Im not even positive if its LP, Its not bad looking and for the price I got a steal maybe Im over reacting but if there is some positives about it please enlighten me. Thanks for all your help, Niles.

Answer
Your sax is a stencil sax. It was made by Conn. Thats good! I have the exact same curved soprano sax and it has a sweet sound.Now mine is the top of the line Conn keyed up to high F but there is nothing wrong with high Eb being the top of your range. You can alway learn altissimo the other notes, you will most likely never need to play that high on a soprano sax unless you are a hard core classical or jazz soloist. With that being said, get this baby all fixed up and get a great Meyer, Selmer, Vandoren or Otto Link soprano piece and go to town.I found this on the web...
"HARWOOD THE PROFESSIONAL"
"I have a sax that I picked up at an estate sale. It is marked 'HARWOOD THE PROFESSIONAL" on the bell. THE PATENT DATE IS 12/8/1914. The only other numbers I find are P-27221-L and 1119954. It appears to be in excellent overall condition and has all the pieces plus extra reeds. Also the original case. Any info as to history and value would be appreciated. Thanks!
Answer...
For serial number info go to (Conn) Pan American serial numbers..But I'll tell you this already your sax is from around 1926...If it says L... it's LOW PITCH (which is good.) HP (High Pitch) is bad...A regular  straight soprano sax can sometimes sounds nasally, but a curved soprano has that sweet sound!!
Please send photos! Merry Christmas!
Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller