Saxophone/EK Blessing Tenor Sax

Hello, I have a very old looking Blessing Tenor Sax. It appears to be silver or silver plated. The only serial number I can find (it is very tarnished) has been scratched in S602. I am curious about the age and if it is worth having it reconditioned. It is also missing the neck.
Thank you for your time.

Thank you for asking me your question about the silver Blessing Tenor Sax that you have.

First of all, the serial number is the best way to find the age of a saxophone but not the only way. Saxophones were made a certain way in the early 1900's and gradually redeveloped over time. This is still the trend as we try to increase playability by designing a better instrument.

It is very likely that you have one that was produced in the early 1900's and is not one that would play as well as you would like it to. Based on the serial number that you gave me, I believe yours was produced before 1935.

I also want you to make sure that you have a tenor sax and not a C-Melody which seem similar and were both produced during this time period. If your saxophone were playable, it would have a "stuffy" tone which would sound nothing the more modern designed instruments we use now.

I love old saxophones and have several myself. Should you want to have it repaired to a playable state, please do not try to use any polish on the silver as I imagine it will not help the finish to reappear in a like-new form. Having it re-padded would also help make it playable. The springs and key action can be reset to give the the saxophone the right feel and response when it is played. Finding a neck to match your saxophone might be the deal breaker. If you were to find one, it would be rare. It would be easier to find a complete Blessing saxophone of the same era than to just find a neck. There is some hope that you might find one from another brand of saxophones that would work though. You will more than likely need to find a reputable woodwind instrument repair shop that has access to parts to help you with this. Of course eBay would also be a good place to begin doing a search on your own. Just keep in mind that saxophones were made to respond with the neck they were produced with. Also, you can expect to pay a lot of money and it will take a lot of time to have it reconditioned.

All of this being said, I wish you the very best in your decision on what to do with it. It is a rare piece of history in the saxophone legend. If it were my saxophone, I would have it reconditioned to make it playable but would also expect for the repair bill to be very high.

I appreciate your finding me to ask your question and look forward to your reply should you have any further questions.

Thanks for asking,
Gwen Shroyer
Shroyer Musical Instruments
Cool Reed Pipes Saxophones

Gwen Shroyer

I am interested in networking with other saxophone players of all levels of experience and answering questions about varied techniques and methods of training, specific brands and models made, mouthpieces, reeds, and various other questions about performance.

I have been playing sax since 1977 where as a student of the clarinet I wanted to play the instrument of my Jazz heroes. I studied under Berklee College of Music renowned Jazz theorist Andrew Jaffe and I have a degree in Music Business from Berklee. I have traveled and performed in several countries mostly in Europe and North America. As an instructor, I have taught students from beginning through college/professional performance ability. I previously owned The Horn Doctor, a band instrument repair shop. Since 1998, I have been playing alto and tenor sax with the Dexter Thomas Band which is an 11-piece horn-band playing hits from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I play saxophone in the worship and praise band at my local church as well.

Chattanooga Times Free Press Cleveland Daily Banner Bradley News

Berklee College of Music, Boston Massachusetts - Bachelors Degree, Music Business/Management Tomlinson College, Cleveland Tennessee - Associates Degree, Music Education/Mass Communications