Saxophone/thumb and tenor sax

Question
I need some clarification on the proper position of the thumb when playing tenor sax.  I try to adjust the strap, but still the instrument rests on my thumb (and it is heavy).  If the strap is too tight, I can't get the mouthpiece in my mouth.  I am new to the tenor.  I play it sitting down and even though someone said to hold it to one side, I play it best(?) in front of me.  I guess I'm still experimenting with how to hold it.

Answer
Joel, Great question. Most tenor players who sit will play to the side and that may help a little, especially if your horn does not have an adjustable thumb rest.

I would suggest trying a new strap. Avoid the the 'stretchy' kind if possible (they may feel good at first but they allow the horn to 'hang' more on the thumb).  Go with either a 'traditional' old style strap OR a shoulder harness type.  I have lots of friends going to this kind as it alleviates lots of pressure on the neck, back and even thumb.

Good luck and keep me posted!

ec

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera