Saxophone/Yanasigawa Prima A-40

Hi Mr. Cantera,

I am considering a vintage Yanasigawa Prima A-40 alto sax. I can't find any info about this model online. The sound is good but the price is USD 1,300 after overhaul. Should I go for it?

Leo - I assume you mean the A4 which dates to the mid 60s? They are good horns solidly built by a proud company at a time when they were going good work. If the horn has been overhauled then it seems the price is fair. I am assuming that you've  played it?....& that it's all original parts & original lacquer as well? If so, should be a solid specimen!

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.