Saxophone/Yanigasawa baritone sax repair

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I have a vintage Yanagisawa baritone sax that's giving me a lot of problems. About a few weeks ago I got it back from the repair shop after spending about $500 to get it playable again. My tech mentioned that only certain pads needed to be replaced and reseated. When I went to pick it up that first time I forgot my mouthpiece and I ended up play-testing it at home. It was completely unplayable. I took it back to the repair guy and he was shocked because he said that it should be working. I played for him and he said that it was most likely my embouchure or the mouthpiece that I was using, because the Berg Larson I used had a significant taper. He said he would order some mouthpieces for me to try. Last Friday when I brought the horn back again, I tried the mouthpieces, and he made several adjustments...everything was a total failure! I pointed some pads near the top of the instrument, including the one for the register key, that looked pretty dirty and worn, and he said that these should not have an effect on how the bari is performing. I told him that maybe the horn actually needs a complete repad/overhaul (that's actually what the original owner mentioned), and yet my repair tech says that all the other pads are fine. He says that it's most likely an embouchure problem, rather than anything mechanically wrong with the instrument. Anyway my tech threw in the mouthpieces, which are an Otto link and a Meyer (the Meyer is medium chamber, probably the Otto link too), as well as several Rovner ligatures and some 2 1/2 and 3 size Rico reeds. After taking all of this home and trying every combination of this equipment imaginable, the horn is still a nightmare to play.

Now I also have a Conn baritone sax. I tried all this equipment on my Conn, and even though my Conn does need a little bit of regulating, it is completely playable and plays circles around my Yanni. So it is definitely not an embouchure problem. Obviously I know how to play the bari sax, and I know there is something very wrong with the Yanni, but my tech is completely baffled and tells me that he's tried everything. I really really don't know what to do. Can you help me please?

ANSWER: Hello Mike,
If you paid $500, that is almost a total overhaul...."certain pads needed to be replaced and reseated" would only be about $60 to $120....not $500!! You say it was completely unplayable.... Did you have someone else play it too, like a second opinion, to determine it was the horn ,the mouthpiece or just you. The bottom line is.... What  does the leak light say????...Please check your water spit cork, it must seal. Otto links are large chamber, Meyers come in small ,medium and large chamber.  Make sure that nothing has fallen into the bari sax and gotten stuck in the higher part of the horn.(Mouthpiece plastic cap) remember when you look at a sax, the pads that are closed need to be sealed airtight, and the pads that are open need to close air tight. You must inspect the sax and check every key up and down the sax for leakage. (Your repairman should have done that already) You need to have the repairman play the sax....If your tech is baffled, then he sucks as a repairman...you need to get a better repairman...contact NAPBIRT,(go to webpage)look for the tech locator...punch in your state,and it will list every repairman in your area...
Thanks Grant Koeller

QUESTION: I got back in touch with my repair technician, and even though I don't like how he says that it's playable for him when the instrument becomes semi-playable for me after a few adjustments are made and then goes out of adjustment as soon as I take it home to try, he agreed to disassemble it and see if he can find any issues inside. He did say that to disassemble it and check and fix some of the pads near the top that the cost would be $150 and could possibly increase from there, depending on what he finds. I didn't return my horn to him yet, but if I consider this option...what worries me is having him do all this work and then presenting me with another expensive bill, because I would really hate to try the horn after all this and it is still a nightmare to play and then have to pay the repair bill because the tech would have "done everything". Is there any way I could go about this with some recourse of getting some money back? What do I do if it's still unplayable and then I have a steep bill to pay after he's done everything? Surely I can't refuse to pay it, can I? Thanks.

Answer
If he does all the work and it doesn't play, you can refuse to pay, on only one condition,  You must bring in a third party (a bari sax professional) in order to do the test play in front of yourself and the repair man. What the pro bari sax player say is final. Either the sax is fixed or it is not fixed. If the sax pro finds it doesn't play he can better explain to the repairman what the true problem is. My gut feeling is this, you are having reed and/or mouthpiece problems, or your bari has some bad pads...Remember the leaklight is the way to find the leaks...and when a leak is found,  please let the repairman replace the bad pad.
You say "it goes out of adjustment for you as soon as you take it home to try"? This is a very odd statement. One question... In what way does it go out of adjustment?....Do you have a sax teacher, sax colleague, college sax professoror, or local pro that can test play this bari for you? This whole question is your word against his word...but having a third party will reveal the total truth...Please send me photos...
thanks
Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller