Saxophone/Yanigasawa T500

Question
Hi, I came across your site by chance and saw the answer to Louise back in 2010. I am just about to buy one from a guy I bought my first Yas62 from which I have just sold so I trust in him. I have only seen a video of him playing the T500 but it sounds really nice. My answer is for $1700 Australian (about $2000 US) is this wise for an intermediate sax purchase. There aren't too many options in this price range except Jupiter Artist series or Student Yamahas so I feel ok with the price. Can you change out the s/steel springs for blue springs and better point screws if you wanted to later and would that make a difference in the mechanics. I am wary of a 30 year old sax but all my reading tells me they are a quality intermediate horn. Thanks

Answer
Hello Darren, Yes The Yanagisawa T-500 without a photo could be confused with the more expensive 800 series. The T-500 series was Yanagisawa’s attempt to produce a beginner/intermediate horn. These were only available in alto and tenor. The series was introduced in the mid to late 1970’s and continued into the mid 1980’s.  The typical way of identifying one of these is to look for the stainless steel springs used on the horn rather than the blued springs used on the higher end models (t-800) of this time period. The A-500/T-500 models and the 800 series horns had only a couple of minor differences, mostly in the materials used. Here are some of the differences, the 500 series did not have ribbed construction while the 800 did. The brass was actually imported from the US starting with the 800 series, so the quality of the brass got better with the 800 series. There are some minor differences in the pearls, how much they are hollowed out or the concavity of them. The 800 series had deeper pearls, also it was reported that the 500 series were a bit more free-blowing than the 800 series. As to the value, I would say, depending on condition, $250- $775, but we would need to see it. The value of a saxophone is relative. It's based on supply and demand, market conditions, and the economy. Lets not forget sentimental value. It's true value is in the musical tone and playability. How well does this saxophone perform it intended job...I seen expensive horns that played terrible and old beat up junkers that played fantastically! Remember that this sax was made in Japan, is a great saxophone for a college, high school student or semi pro player gigging on the side. This price seems high, but lets get real, its 2014, not 1986. If it was me, I would wait and get a pro horn...better investment for the future.also better resale value and overall a way better sax. My horn of choice is a Yamaha YAS 62  or  YTS 62. They were Yamaha's top of the line in the mid 1990's..get an older one... don't waste your money on a brand new one. Like a car, prices are full blown retail for a brand  spankin' new sax and older saxes (from the 1980s or 1990's) will have a better price. They are better horns, made during a fantastic period of Yamaha quality and consistency.
Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller