Saxophone/H. Couf Alto sax.

trying to sell,(Tone King Special,Superba 1). serial#69592 .this is engraved [ made exclusively for H.Couf by Julias Kielwerth ] is this engraved on all H. Couf horns? This has lots of patina,well worn lacquer. is this a vintige horn? any price guess  would be great..   Thankes for your time.....

Randall - it's hard to say this is 'vintage' - more like newer vintage if that makes sense.  These horns were produced between 1965 to 1986 when the Armstrong Company had three Keilwerth models stenciled for them under the model Couf name.  I think yours dates closer to the middle of that era - the hard part isn't estimating value, it's finding a buyer. as the market for these horns is very low right now.  Some of these in very good condition have asking prices between $500 and maybe up to $1,000 depending on the condition of the lacquer (patina and age-wear is not necessarily a good thing here). Value in your case will depend on playing condition.  I hope this helps a tad - best bet would be to bring it to someone who can play it and determine its playing condition.  Good luck!

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.