Saxophone/V. Kohlert's Söhne Graslitz Saxophone n° 7349

Question
V. Kohlert\'s Söhne Graslitz
V. Kohlert's Söhne Gra  

V. Kohlert\'s Söhne Graslitz
V. Kohlert's Söhne Gra  
I have forgotten to attach some pictures in my previous question.
Please find them attached in this mail.

Dear Mr. Koeller,

I have found your contact googling the brand name of a saxophone I have bought on an antiques market for my brother who plays the saxophone. It is a present for his birthday next month and I am doing a little research. I would like to ask your opinion on this piece.

It came in its original wooden box, all pieces included (even the veganine tube :) )
On the mouth piece there is engraved:
V. Kohlert's Söhne Graslitz

On the back of the tube there is a serial no.:
7349

On the upper side of the inside of the tube someone engraved:
1942

On the back there hangs a kind of seal with the Belgian lion and written DOUANE.

The saxophone looks silver plated.

I would like to know more on the history of this instrument so I can tell my brother some background information about the instrument.

Many thanks in advance!
I hope to hear from you,
Marcin De Rycker
Belgium

Answer
Hello Marcin, Your sax is wonderful!!! It even has mother of pearl finger touches on the side keys, here is some interesting info from the web...."Graslitz was a town in Bohemia (part of the Austro-Hungarian empire) before WW2.  It is now known as Kraslice in the present day Czech Republic.  Graslitz had an ethnic German population before WW2, but was not part of the country of Germany then and is not today.  Graslitz was known for its musical instrument production, especially brass instruments.   Since the instrument says Graslitz, I would guess it was made before the end of WW2--the name of the town was changed to the Czech pronunciation/spelling of Kraslice at that time.  Also, the word sohne is German.  Most of the ethnic Germans were driven out of their Bohemian homelands after WW2, so if a German word is on the instrument, that also leads me to believe it was produced before the end of WW2.  My ancestors were from Graslitz and one of them produced musical instruments around the turn of the century.  I have a copy of the patent application he filed in 1895 for a method of stamping or embossing lettering on musical instruments.  It says "I, Anton Richard Breinl, Maker of Musical Instruments for Children, of Graslitz, Bohemia, in the Empire of Austria..."
more research coming....

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller