Saxophone/RE; King Voll Sax

Question
King Voll IIII sax side
King Voll IIII sax sid  

King Voll sax
King Voll sax  
Hello Grant,

Here is the 3rd pic I told you I would send regarding my previous question for King Voll IIII Sax serial number 156045.  I am having trouble with your site and my computer so I hope you get this.  

Cathy

Answer
Hello Cathy
There is no such thing as a King Voll true IIII.
You have a KIng Voll-True II.
The engraving is 3 dimensional.
That's why it looks like 4 I's.
(sn 1452xx to 180xxx; 1932 to late 1935)

NOTES:
* The Voll-True II and the Zephyr had the SAME HN White catalog number, according to Paul Cohen, and he theorizes that they are essentially the same horn. The keywork is virtually identical.

* There is no such thing as the Voll-True III or a Voll True IIII, at least not as a model that escaped into production. The confusion comes from the fact that the engraving on the Voll-True II changed slightly in the later years of its production.
Your sax was made in 1933.
from the web....
"The King Voll-True II
King revamped the line again in 1930, and claimed twenty-two improvements over its previous models. These changes were mostly different tonehole locations on the lower stack, the resizing of other toneholes and movement of the octave pip to accommodate the new King designed mouthpiece (which featured a larger tone chamber). This model was called the Voll-True, and can be quite difficult to play with accurate intonation if a small chamber mouthpiece is used.
In 1932, new alto and tenor models were introduced (the alto made its debut in October 1932, followed by the tenor in December and the baritone in July 1933), known as Voll-True II horns. These are very nice looking instruments, incorporating a "modernistic" appearance and highly stylized look with a new bore for a brighter, more brilliant tone -- geared to the new age of professional commercial playing.
Other Technical Changes in the Voll-True II
Squared off F# trill key and squared off small finger spatulas for each hand
Smartly designed key and clothes guards, eliminating bumper pads
Placement of the low B and Bb tone holes on the same side of the body, eliminating muffled tones and enabling a more responsive mechanism (not found on the baritone)
Larger palm keys
Adjusting screws for some key heights (G# arm, low D/Eb, etc.)
A floating octave key cup (picture 2)
The key action was revamped to a lighter, flute-like feel and the keys were repositioned for a more natural lay, increasing the facility in technical work.
The neck of the baritone could now be turned in any playing position with the octave keys properly functioning (earlier models incorporated a fixed neck).
An ill-conceived mechanism which eliminated the high E key (introduced on the late Voll-True horns and then discontinued early in the Voll-True II run).
In actuality, while the altissimo E/F vent key is eliminated from the late Voll-Trues and early Voll-True II's, the function is not. What essentially happens is when you play high enough (high B and above, if I remember correctly), a double spring "activates" the chromatic side C key AS the altissimo E/F vent key. This sounds like a kinda freaky idea, but this same feature was found on the Martin Handcraft Troubadour -- which was produced at about the same time (and for about as long :) This key action feels relatively natural, even though the mechanism is somewhat suspect."
I would say the value for your sax is about $1500 to $1800, the original lacquer looks fantastic and it's a beauty. You might even be able to get $2000 on a good day...
thanks Grant Koeller

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller