Saxophone/"Hora Decubitus" by Charles Mingus

uncle duke wrote at 2014-04-08 15:48:23
If Mr. Koeller will allow- How can you compare Mingus to Ellington? The 1st thing that comes to mind is the bass line Mingus is laying down. It's got the vibe of the "50's". It's good. The drummer is doing his job too. IMO, after the first few opening measures of Hora, a piano should of been playing there instead of a sax. Ellington was a composer on the piano. Mingus was a composer on the bass, I'm assuming. That has to be a difference of day vs night. I get the feeling from one of the sax players that the money wasn't there or he wasn't with the group long enough to make what he played better. What I mean by that is that he may of laid down all the right notes but to me they sounded they were played at the wrong times. More time with the group or more time spent at the piano figuring patterns/things out would of had better results. If you can start with the opening measures like they were recorded and then add a piano instead of sax that would be better.  Here's what your instructor and yourself could do in the future if time allows.  After the piano is done with the main riff/notes at the beginning start at about the 4:00 minute mark on the youtube video again with the piano. With just the bass, drums and piano playing up to solo time the first solo could be the trumpet[his playing was better} or a sax. Then a piano solo, then at the end of the song all three could solo. The trombone and bari-sax were unneccessary for this tune. Too cluttered. If you guys, or Herb Hancock even, rewrite the song just call it a "Variation of Mingus" and keep for future use. I'm sorry if I insulted any of the players that were with Mingus any because I realize they influenced a lot of other players too.

Here's an example of a "torrent" while soloing. When it's solo time {your turn}, after a few measures of piddling around put together a scaler run of about 20-30 notes. Play them with confidence, do some more piddling around and add another scaler run. Then, always make sure your last notes of the torrent runs are good. That's what everyone will remember the most, the last few notes. The best results would be on a tenor sax.  

Saxophone

Grant R. Koeller