Saxophone/Jupiter 969 Silver Series alto sax

QUESTION: Hi, take a look at the alto sax in this listing:

The seller tells me that this is a 969 Siver Series alto. Is this a good quality sax? Also how does it rank as a back-up for professional gigging? Is this a good deal as is, or should I haggle a bit? Thanks.

ANSWER: it is a good deal, it is a good sax...first of all it's silver plated brass. thats worth something right from the get go.... this sax would be great for lead alto... he already knocked a ton of money off the value($2000)  so I would say just go for it....
Thanks Grant Koeller

I just finished trying out this alto moments ago, and one thing that I've noticed is that this isn't the 969 model. On the back it says 869 (or was it 896)? And I couldn't see Silver Series printed there, unless it's SS, although I didn't look thoroughly enough to find out if SS is printed anywhere on the horn. Also on the back it says that it is made in Taiwan, and upon play-testing the instrument the button for the G-key fell off. I told the seller that I would prefer to find out more about this model before I made the purchase. What are your thoughts on the above? If I contact the seller again what questions should I ask him to verify that this is a quality horn? Also note that I will not be interested in this horn if it is for beginners. I play at a semi-pro level and am looking for such a horn to reflect the quality and demands of that level. Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: hello mike, this is a pro sax....if you like how it plays get it... if you hate it. don't get it....please remember it's not the horn, its the player...A great player can play any horn.... the pearl button for the g key can be re glued with super is definitely a professional saxophone... here are the spec's...

869SG Artist Alto Saxophone Specifications:
Level: Professional
Key; Eb
Neck Material: Sterling silver
Body Material: Silver-plated yellow brass
Bell Material: Silver-plated yellow brass
Key Material: Yellow brass
Range Up to: High F#
Auxiliary Keys: Front F, tilting G#-Bb spatula
Springs: Blue steel
Pads: Leather
Resonators: Metal
Engraving: Yes
Thumb Rest: Adjustable
Includes: case, mouthpiece, ligature, cap, and care products
Crafted In: Taiwan
Thanks Grant Koeller

QUESTION: Hi, there's one more thing...if this is an artist model should I look for the word "artist" printed anywhere on the horn when I go to inspect it? Also I recall yesterday that the thumb-rest (where you rest your left thumb), is black plastic. I was just wondering about this because this is the very first time I have seen a pro horn with this feature.

Thanks for your time.

The greatest sax ever made a selmer mark 6
Has a black plastic thumb rest for left thumb.
Pro saxes never say artist on them, what you need
To do is go to the jupitor web sight and compare
This sax with saxophones on their web  page.
Only then will you know for sure what kind of sax
You are getting.
Thanks grant koeller

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's