Saxophone/Lyon & Healy American Professional Chicago Alto Saxophone

Lyon & Healy American Professional Chicago
Lyon & Healy American  

Lyon & Healy American  
Hello Mr. Koeller

I am currently considering the purchase of a Lyon & Healy American Professional Chicago alto saxophone. The serial number is 88818. It is silver-plated and has a gold wash bell. The person selling it says it was made by Martin between 1928 and 1935. I was wondering if it's possible to determine who the manufacturer really was. Also, does the gold wash in the bell indicate a professional instrument? Is it comparable in quality to the instruments bearing the name of the actual manufacturer, or is it inferior? I am considering paying $300 for it. Does this price seem fair? The instrument has had a complete overhaul within the past three years. Is it possible to determine if this is a low pitch instrument, or a C melody? The seller said that aside from the "Lyon & Healy American Professional Chicago" engraving at the front of the bell, and the serial number, there are no other markings on the horn. The mouthpiece it comes with is unmarked. The neck is straight. I also would like to know in what year it was made.

Would you say I would be better off purchasing a 1924-1925 Buescher (also silver plated, no gold wash in the bell).

Thank you in advance for any information/advice you may be able to offer.

Hello Janey, are you a collector or a performer? First of all, $300 for this sax is a steal. it looks to be in fine condition... this is an alto not a c that is good....any time you see a stencil sax you wonder who made it... my records show that early Lyon and Healy saxophones were made by Buescher. By the mid 20s they were labeled "Courturier model" and were made by Courturier of (Laporte?) IN which L&H bought in 1928. The ones after the purchase had serial numbers over 200,000. I have a really nice soprano that plays great and 2 altos (one gold plated, the other silver) that I am selling. Most of these had the clown engraving on the bell but there are high end models that had Pan playing the pipes engraved. These had extra engraving and the neck octave key had 2 hinges. Contrary to opinion, these were not made by Martin even though the tone holes are beveled and soldered..your sax is made by's low is a wonderful saxophone made by the same craftsmen who made the top of the line Bueschers..I would love to play this...I would say this sax is from the mid 1920's...I love the silver plate over brass with gold wash in the bell!! You may find that a modern alto(selmer, Yamaha) has better ergonomics, but these old saxophones are certainly tone machines!!!
Good luck
Grant Koeller

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's