Saxophone/Cannonball soprano/Jupiter Artist tenor

QUESTION: Hi, I'm considering purchasing the tenor in this listing:

And the soprano in this listing:

What can you tell me about these two horns? Are they top-of-the-line professional instruments? I am able to get the soprano for $850. What would be a good price for the tenor?

ANSWER: Hi. The tenor, if in good playing condition, $800-$1200 USD. It really depends on condition.

QUESTION: Can you please answer the rest of my question? I would like to know about its quality and skill level, thanks.

Again, it depends on condition. Age is also a factor. The soprano is 8 years old, tenor unknown. In the early days of both companies, the metal was too soft in the keys and they would bend easily. I have not encountered anyone with the latest offerings from either company. Our son has a Cannonball tenor from that period. These horns would be classified as upper intermediate. Top-of-the-line is Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, CE. Winds, etc.. No way of telling quality just from the pics. Need to play test them. Please let me know if there is anything else.

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe