Saxophone/Mark VI Alto Saxophone

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Koeller,
My son is wanting to sell his saxophone to help pay for his college bills. I would like to know how much it is worth. We have an estimated replacement value from a reliable source, Judi's Woodwind Shop in Leavenworth, KS, of $8000 from 2009. The serial number is: M 120325. It has the original lacquer, the original case, all of the keys work, it has been repadded, and 3 of the protective covers have been resoldered.  How old is it and what do you think it would be worth? Thank you for any help that you can give.

ANSWER: Hello Mary lou,
This sax is the cream of the crop. The greatest alto saxophone ever made. It was made in 1964,
From the web...MARK VI serial numbers range from  53201 - 236000.
Of course, this is the greatest sax ever made. Nothing else is quite like it. Longest production run in Selmer history. Lots of minor variations along the line: necks; engraving; side key attachment etc., but even the worst of them is not bad. There seems to be more demand for the "five digit" horns,  More than with any other model, condition is everything. Silver plate commands a 20% premium; gold a 30% premium. Itís important that the serial numbers on the neck match the body. Sopranino, soprano, baritone, and bass Mk VIís were made until the introduction of the Super 80 series. Horns made for the European market are often unengraved, and lacquered examples may have silver plated keywork.
Sopranino $3000
Soprano $3000
Alto $ 6100
Alto Low A  $ 5000
Tenor $ 7000
Baritone Bb $7000
Baritone low A $7200
end web content...

I have bad news...the bubble has burst. They are not what they were worth in 2006.....That 8000 price is great ...take it...or sell it yourself on ebay.....
If you use a sax consignment,they will get your money....
A fair price would be 7250-7800
But this sax is only worth what someone will pay....
Good luck,please call 1-800-USA-HORN for an appraisal
Grant Koeller

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Koeller,
Thank you for the advice. I checked the serial number on the neck and it matches the body. I was offered $4000 for it and wondered if that was too low?  Do you think $6500 would be reasonable? I agree that it is only worth what someone will pay!

ANSWER: 4000 is way too low!!! they are trying to rip you off...6500 is too low
down budge for under 7000.....
Did you call 1-800-USA-HORN for an appraisal?
grant koeller

QUESTION: Thank you for your help. I have not contacted USA Horn for an appraisal but will take your advice and do so.

Thanks just remember this...You have the greatest saxophone ever made. Players want these Mark  6's, sax dealers want them,so they can flip them at a big profit.....I say you deserve the profit, sell it on ebay with a reserve of $6995,so it the bidding falls short, you can relist it might get a bidding war,and the bidding might go into the 7000 or 7500 dollars mark....  

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's