Saxophone/Is it worth fixing

Question
I was given a Conn Tenor Sax with Shooting Stars 16M Ser# 632029 (no letters before or after). I can't find the year made. Has some dings; it's been sitting unused approx. 40 yrs. It plays. Is it worth cleaning/repairing (if needed) to be used by a talented player majoring in music?

Answer
Gary,

The answer is a yes and a no. The 16M shooting star was designed as a student horn. However they are very durable and will hold together for a very long time. As you stated it's been sitting for 40 years and still plays. Therefore if this was put in the hands of a young student in middle school to learn to play it would be a great instrument to fix up and completely repad if necessary. However for a music major, it would not be a great fit. Student horns are designed for students and have usually have several intonation issues to accommodate for beginning students. For an advanced player it would create a serious handicap.  

I would recommend you sell this horn and put the money into a more modern and professional saxophone for the music major. Brands to look for are Selmer Paris, Yamaha, Keilwerth, Yanigaswia, Cannonball, Jupiter. Vintage brands include Selmer Pairs, Selmer U.S.A., King, Martin, Buescher, Conn (10M tenor or 6M alto). If you find a horn you have questions about please let me know and I'll do what I can to answer.

BTW, I do have a Selmer U.S.A. professional tenor I am selling if you would like to take a look at it, send me an e-mail to charles@harrisbandinstruments.com and I'll send you the link.

Charles Harris  

Saxophone

Charles Harris