Saxophone/alto sax -high school player

Question
Thanks for responding so quickly to my previous question regarding purchasing an upgraded alto sax for my son.  I did visit our local music shop to test out several mouthpieces.  My son felt that the vandoren A35 was the best, and that was one recommended by the band teacher.  While at the shop my son was able to play a used Yamaha that the store is currently selling.  It is a Yamaha YAS-62.  It looked like it was in good shape but I don't know a thing about saxophones.  I don't know the age of the instrument but they are selling it for 1300.00.  They claim that it sells for well over 2500 new.  Although we are not really ready to get him something right now I was wondering if this is too good a deal to pass up.  Thanks for any advice.

Answer
Cath - That's not a bad deal at all - I did find one with a lower bid on e-bay ($980 but there are still a few days left and I would guess it's going to sell for more). The 62 is a nice solid horn, I'm not surprised your son liked it. If you do decide to get the horn locally, you have the of maybe getting them to thrown in a few of the inevitable 'tune ups' (pad and cork maintenance etc..) that will no doubt arise over the next few years.  Just a thought!

Saxophone

Eugene Cantera