Saxophone/Silvertone Saxophone

Question
Saxophone picture 1
Saxophone picture 1  

Saxophone picture 2
Saxophone picture 2  
Hi, I have a Silverton Saxophone made in Elkhart.

I think it is a late 1960's.
I don't remember if it is an  alto or tenor?
Where on it would I find a model number?
How much would it be worth?

It has not been played in many years.  It would need some repairs to it because I have had it stored for many years.

Answer
Sharon,

The Silvertone saxophones were a stencil instrument. This means it was manufactured by a major manufacture but the company that ordered it had their name "stenciled" on it instead. This practice is still very common in the musical instrument industry as there are many more companies selling instruments than factories that produce them. I've written a great deal on stencil instruments and if you go back and read some of my older answers you will see where I've expanded on this a great deal.

The Silvertone name was owned by Sears and Roebuck and usually sold through their catalog. More than likely the horn you have was made by the Buescher company but could have also been made by Conn. Without seeing more closely detailed photos I cant determine the manufacture. The difficult thing about stencil horns is that the manufactures usually based them on older models thus they did not get all the features of the name brand horns they were based on. This was a win/win for both parties as it allowed the maker to sell instruments and in some cases use up some of the older parts they may have in stock and it allowed the buyer to buy a bunch of instruments at a better than wholesale price.

The sax you have is a tenor sax. Most students start on the alto as the tenor is a bit bigger and more difficult for younger students to use. However most beginners grow into fairly quickly. The tenor is more commonly used in jazz and is very common in rock and roll and various types of pop music. If you are looking to sell this horn, unfortunately I would have to place the value fairly low. Between $200 to $450. The cost of repairs might exceed the resale value of the instrument. If this is something you want to get fixed up and use for several years than it may be worth it to you as the cost of repairs may still be less than buying a new instrument or buying a newer one and still having to get that fixed. If you plan to sell it, than take what you can get just don't expect a huge pay day for it.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. If you have any more questions you can e-mail me at any time at charles@harrisbandinstruments.com

Thanks
Charles Harris  

Saxophone

Charles Harris