Saxophone/tenor saxophone age and value

I have a Vito tenor saxophone I would like to sell, but have no idea of its value or age. It is marked made in Japan and has a serial number of 001220. The case and original mouthpiece are marked Leblanc. It has its share of tarnish and small dents, but otherwise is in decent condition and all the notes are playable. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Barbara, unfortunately these are not highly coveted saxes.  They play OK but are not a 'top' brand or collectors item.  Since it's playable you may be able to get between $200 and maybe $400 for it - if you can find a youngster who maybe needs a 'marching' horn or someone interested in getting started on sax.  I've seen some of these in VERY good condition sell for a bit higher, but not much. The market is saturated right now and prices have held steady for about 10 years.

You can try listing it on a site like e-bay but you might do better to try and sell it locally through your community shop.  They can give it a play and may be able to guide you on what your local market value is.

PS - Vito is the brand name for student instruments made by the Leblanc Co. which is now part of the Conn-Selmer group... (That must sound quite confusing! sorry).

Good luck!

Eugene Cantera

I have been a music educator for over 25 years and have taught on many levels from young children and school agers on through to college level, professional players and senior citizens. My main areas of expertise are saxophone(s) though I have taught many instruments including, guitar, bass, piano, oboe and drums to name a few. I have also done research on horns both vintage and new.

I have been in music education for 25 years and I have written and published in the subject of professional music education.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, Marketing and Higher Education Newsletter.

Bachelor of Music Education, Hartt School of Music - The University of Hartford.