Saxophone/yamaha YAS 62

We came across a used Yamaha YAS 62 for sale at the local music store  for 1200.00
after consulting with some musician friends and doing internet research we decided that this was an excellent deal so we bought the instrument for my son (9th grader, playing in HS band) The serial number is 036749
Does the serial number give any indication as to how old this instrument might be.  It appears to be in very good shape

YAS-62 was Yamaha's pro instrument from 1978 up until the newer series 475/875/62 II/62 III took over. Their numbering system is different that most others as it does not tell the age, as far as I could research. You can call customer service at Yamaha.

Here is their archives page;

hope this helps.

Jeff Frazier

Any questions related to the repair, refinishing and restoration of band instruments (woodwinds and brass).

I am co-owner J and J Woodwinds LLC, a full service repair and restoration facility locatd in Shreveport, Louisiana. We have been in business since 1985 providing customers worldwide with the repairs and restorations that many will not do!

Apprenticed under one of the finest repairmen in the business at Williams music in the late 1970's/early 1980's. His brother is listed as one of the top band instrument repair techs in the nation!

Featured on KTBS 3 (Shreveport, La) in October 2009

US Army Band, US Navy Band, US Air Force Band, beginner and pro players across the globe