Saxophone/M.Busine - Identifying model & year

M.Busine logo
M.Busine logo  

i have M.Busine alto sax (s/n 19783).
this horn is italian hand made?

can you tell me the model, year and history od the horn model and company.
also what the Value, i whant to restore it.

I appreciate you asking your question concerning the M.Busine Alto Sax that you have.

I believe you have a Martin-Busine Alto that was made in France. The company is well known for making stenciled saxophones. These are saxophones made the exact same way in detail except for the makers mark which could be ordered with whatever brand name used. It could be ordered as an "XYZ" brand but be the exact same horn as the one you have. As to the age, it is very difficult to establish since they don't offer any charting for this. It is most likely pre-70's. The photos you provided look so much like most of the French stencil horns I've seen. Enjoy your sax! As for the repairs/restoration of the saxophone, just keep in mind that the sax may or may not carry any value other than sentimental value. If it plays well and you like the tone then go for it. Just be reasonable on overall costs.

Thanks for asking,
Gwen Shroyer
Cool Reed Pipes Saxophones by SMI

Gwen Shroyer

I am interested in networking with other saxophone players of all levels of experience and answering questions about varied techniques and methods of training, specific brands and models made, mouthpieces, reeds, and various other questions about performance.

I have been playing sax since 1977 where as a student of the clarinet I wanted to play the instrument of my Jazz heroes. I studied under Berklee College of Music renowned Jazz theorist Andrew Jaffe and I have a degree in Music Business from Berklee. I have traveled and performed in several countries mostly in Europe and North America. As an instructor, I have taught students from beginning through college/professional performance ability. I previously owned The Horn Doctor, a band instrument repair shop. Since 1998, I have been playing alto and tenor sax with the Dexter Thomas Band which is an 11-piece horn-band playing hits from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I play saxophone in the worship and praise band at my local church as well.

Chattanooga Times Free Press Cleveland Daily Banner Bradley News

Berklee College of Music, Boston Massachusetts - Bachelors Degree, Music Business/Management Tomlinson College, Cleveland Tennessee - Associates Degree, Music Education/Mass Communications