Saxophone/Selmer Omega Alto Sax

My son played this new saxophone in 2008.  It has a few scratches but overall it looks real good.  I have the black hard case that it came in. I am thinking about selling this sax but what is the value?  It is #20805 and AK088 if that means anything. Please help.  Thanks!

Hello Janet,
Selmer USA does not make the Omega anymore, it was discontinued years ago.
The Omega name was dropped when the AS-100 came out. There were some minor differences in the design but otherwise it was the same sax as the Omega with a different name.
The AS-100 was later upgraded to the AS-110. In just the last year the AS-110 was discontinued and replaced with the La Voix AS-220. These are being made in Taiwan.
Some dealers in the States continued to refer to the AS-100, and later the AS-110 as the Omega even though this was not its official name. The Selmer USA Omega, and its two descendents, were fairly decent saxes although they were not quite up to the Selmer Paris standards. The new La Voix models are getting good reviews so far but are probably similar in quality to other saxes coming out of Taiwan.
Henri Selmer, Paris never made an Omega saxophone, you are mistaken. This was solely the product line of Selmer USA which became UMI, then Steinway, and now part of the Conn-Selmer consortium which combines the whole kit and caboodle. The Omega is an intermediate horn, a  very high quality sax but still an intermediate sax... something Selmer, Paris has never made.
Here is a complete listing of all those strictly professional models produced by H. Selmer Paris:
Modele 22   
Modele 26   
Adolphe Sax   
Super Series   
Balanced Action   
Super (Balanced)
Mark VI   
Mark VII   
Super Action 80   
Super Action 80 Series II   
Super Action 80 Series III
Reference 36 and 54

It is imperative that it is understood that we are talking about two completely independent companies. Selmer USA, (now Conn/Selmer) Elkhart, Indiana produces student to intermediate horns, and was established here as an import company of musical instruments (among them Selmer/Paris), eventually purchased and run by George Bundy.

Henri Selmer of Paris is a centuries old maker of professional only instruments, doing so to this day in Paris, France.
Your sax is worth about $1700 to $2300 depending on condition...  

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's