Saxophone/Eb Conn DJH Naked Lady bari sax low A

Hi Grant - From one fellow eastern Iowan to another, I just listed this bari on Ebay not knowing fully what it was until I did a little online research.  As a high reed doubler, this horn lived in my studio the better part of 20 years because I'm always on fl/cl/ob in shows.  Do you have any idea of the value?  If you do a search on Ebay for "Conn DJH" it will come up because I am listing it for sale.   Any info would be welcome.

Your Bari is worth about $2900 to $3400. This is a Henkin modified Conn "stencil horn" made by Keilwerth, in Germany. Selling a professionally used Conn 122M "DJH Modified" E-flat baritone sax with low A key. Serial No. 86047 near thumb rest and again on bell/body brace. "C.G. CONN LTD" is stamped on bell, "DJH Modified" lower down. See new photos. Engraving includes a picture of a lady in a pentagram commonly referred to as Conn's "Naked Lady" or "Lady Face".'s website said some 12Ms had the "Lady in a Pentagram" engraved on the bell. These traditional NL horns were made earlier and after NEW research the serial number seems to date this horn's manufacture not in 1976 (Conn serials listed online) but with "DJH modified" on the bell was likely made during Daniel Henkin's reign when he was Pres. of Conn (1980-1985). That's why there is a 122M mark on this horn and not 12M - the standard horns. This baritone is a RARE limited edition design. As improved and modified by Henkin to be more in line with the pro horns. Includes the low A which lots of baris don't have. Played professionally at Ford's Theater in Washington D.C. Not used much as owner played high reeds and doubled on other horns. Pads (with resonators) are in great condition, all seat except low A which needs a regulation adjustment by your repairman. The low A can be left alone if you don't use it - doesn't affect other notes. I found several small key guard POSTS (guard is not loose) on the lower stack which can be resoldered or left as is. I played it's entire chromatic register from low Bb up to high F and found NO issues except the low A. This horn has a great scale (plays in tune), remarkable ease of playing, very free blowing yet has a warm, rich sound throughout ALL registers. A really great bari that is fun to play. Includes the vintage Conn mouthpiece because it suits this horn. Lacquer is around 95% to 98%. It wasn't played much in the last 20 years. There are a few scratches on the inner body where it rubbed on a chair when playing. I've tried to show in photos. The only 2 dents I see is a less than one inch ding (more a surface line mark) on the inner bell and a second tiny one I found that is across from it on the body. Probably happened at the same time - minor. The first is about 14 inches down from the bell rim so could be easily pushed out. ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: Conn original black case/Conn logo (called a "coffin" case), all silver latches work perfectly. Very sturdy, pristine blue velvet lining. Conn mouthpiece, ligature and cap.2 brand new bari sax reeds + and an extra reed case, cork grease, cleaning swab for neckpiece, plastic reed case with clasp, sax lacquer polishing cloth. A handmade designer RitasReeds fabric pouch for storage of neckpiece/mouthpiece (have to advertise my own products! :) A vintage Brilhart neck strap with the round circle ivory/black logo on the pull strap. You will have everything you need to play this right out of the box! If you are interested in sax music watch my other auctions. Lacquer and pads appear to be original. Corks are bright, blue steeled springs. Stored for last 20 years minus a few weeks. NOTE: More knowledgeable Ebayers suggest the horn is made by H. Keilworth, stamped & distributed by Conn, redesigned as a limited edition by Henkin who owned Conn in the early 1980s. This RARE baritone horn is stamped "DJH modified" which dates it a little later than I thought to abt. 1980-1985. Henkin made pro horns that were sold under the Conn name. Hence the discrepancy in the 122M mark (not the more common 12M). Here is what SOMEONE ELSE said about the DJH horns (not part of my ad - just informational): The serial number, and the 'naked lady' the 'DJH' engraving on the bell was something Daniel Henkin was fond of doing during his ownership of Conn (1980-1985). It was during this period that Conn was reestablished back in Elkhart, Indiana, Doc Severenson was hired as Vice President of product development and the quality of Conn's earlier years was once again seen in the craftsmanship of its instruments.Conn's public relations department said the 108M model number (the similar DJH alto model #) is unknown and has no record. This would imply that there were very few of these instruments made and none mass produced. Henkin was said to be fond of producing small numbers of limited pro line instruments. The serial number and 'DJH Modified' engraving are consistent with the 1980-1985 period in which Mr. Henkin was sole owner of Conn Ltd. -- Henkin was fond of putting his name on his custom instruments. This would have been one of the last Conn Ltd. instruments produced. In 1985 Conn was sold to a Swedish conglomerate and then incorporated into United Musical Instruments (UMI). Standard pitch (A=440); this bari has drawn tone holes similar to the Superba II models; mother-of-pearl finger buttons, hand engraved bell. Body has extremely heavy wall construction. The bell and bow are quite thick and give the instrument a massive feel.This instrument has all the feel, and response of a very high quality, pro line sax. If you are looking for a true vintage and RARE 'Naked Lady', this is it. On sax website: "These horns are nothing more than H-Couf Superba models with different engraving and some different sheet metal -- and the H-Coufs are, in turn, Keilwerth Toneking/New King (series IV) stencils.There are some folks that do insist that Daniel Henkin did order custom bows and/or keywork, but there's not a large enough sampling to prove or disprove.The rolled tone hole models correspond, roughly, to the Superba I, and non-rolled-tone-hole models to the Superba II."
Thanks Grant Koeller  

Grant R. Koeller

I'm a Professional Jazz Saxophone soloist recently retired from 23 years with the USAF Band Of Flight, WPAFB, OHIO, experienced in performance, technique and equipment. I'm not a buyer/seller or dealer. I have 40 years Alto, Tenor, Soprano and Bari Saxophone performance experience with additional years on the Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Drum-set, Guitar and Voice. I'm a third generation professional military musician, my father, Bill Koeller(1939-1997) was in the USAF 1958-1962, and played Jazz Hammond B-3 organ from 1957-1997, and my fathers Uncle, Alfred Koeller (1912-1993), was a professional Acoustic Bassist in the Army Air Corps in WWII, and also performed on Jazz Guitar, Hammond organ, Piano and tenor saxophone.

Professional Saxophone Soloist, 23 total years with the USAF Bands, 6 years with the USAF Band of Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, performing on Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Clarinet, and Flute. 4 years in Japan, at Yokota AFB with the USAF Band of the Pacific. An Avid Composer and Arranger for the Night Hawk Protocol Combo. Former Lead Alto Saxophonist with the USAF Night Flight Big Band performing the music of Glenn Miller as well as other hits of the Big Band Era. I collect LP records of Jazz, blue's, classical and rock, and have over 12,000 records.

USAF,Phi MU Alpha Sinfonia, Men's National Music Fraternity, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra, Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Eddie Love Big Band, Gem City Big Band, Jazz Central Big Band, Shin Sings Orchestra, Kim Kelly Orchestra,USAF Night Flight Jazz Ensemble, Different Hats Big Band, Jimmy Baker Blues Band, This Side Up, Freelance, KING KOELLER Quartet, Jazz Central Big Band, GB Work, Sax On The Web,

Saxophone On the Web; Anchorage Daily News; All Experts; Augustana College Public Radio, WVIK;

North Texas State University School of Music, Jazz Studies 1982-1986 Lead Alto, Lab bands 1982-83 and small group leader 1983-1984, Jazz Radio Host WVIK 90.1 FM NPR affiliate Rock Island, IL United States Collegiate Wind Band European tour 1980 Augustana College, Rock Island IL, Liberal Arts Music Mentors/Teachers:My father Bill Koeller, a Jazz Hammond B-3 Organist (1939-1997) Great Uncle Alfred Koeller, Acoustic Bass 1912-1993

Paul Shartle Musician of the Quarter Spring 2008; Glenn Miller Festival, Clarinda, Iowa featured soloist; McDonald's All-American Band and Jazz Ensemble 1979; US Collegiate Wind Bands,Paul Lavalle Conductor, tour of Europe,1980; John Phillip Sousa Award, 1980 Dimond HS Anchorage, Alaska; USAF National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star; USAF Achievement Medal with 5 Oak Leaf Clusters; USAF Good Conduct Medal with 6 Oak Leaf Clusters

Performed with, Bob Hope, The Platters, Four Tops, Jimmy Dorsey, Crystal Gail, Helen Ready, James Williams, Dallas Jazz Orchestra, Jack Jones, The Mills Brothers, the G-Clef's, Lionel Hampton at Carnegie Hall, Performed for the King Of Thailand 2005, Tom "Bone's" Malone, Roy Hargrove, Tommy Turrentine, Performed for President Gerald Ford, President George W. Bush, The Maguire Sisters, The USO Girls-Andrew Sisters Tribute, The Four Lads, Lincoln Berry, The Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Louis Bellson, Buddy DeFranco, Walter Bishop Jr, Sadao Watanabe, Bobby Shew, Pete Jolly, Quad City Jazz Ensemble, Augustana College Symphonic Band, Jack Scott, Catfish Jazz Society, Intrigue-Boston Wedding Band, The Mark Herbert Little Big Band, The Pacesetters Big Band, The Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble, Pacific Showcase Big Band, Jimmy Dorsey Big Band under the direction of Lee Castle, Ronny Scott Orchestra, Big Al's Hot Dance Orchestra, The Dayton Sidewinders, Tom Daugherty Orchestra, Johnny Mack Super Big Band, Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove, Warren Parrish, John OMeara Jr., Dave Holcomb, Albia Silva,Vinnie Demartino, Clon VonFitz, The G Clef's